I value faith, truth, devotion, family, freedom, peace, happiness, unity, friends, love, honesty, integrity, virtue, respect, loyalty, charity, ambition, agency, and dedication.
I strive to live the following principles in my life: faith, hope, charity, love, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, humility, and diligence.
When these principles and values are tested in different situations and roles in my life I will look to the following standards and goals I have set for myself.
- I will seek for truth.
- I will seek the Lord’s guidance.
- I will trust in the Lord and seek to do His will.
- I will seek to serve others.
- I will stand for truth and righteousness.
- I will stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things and in all places.
- I will remember that I am always responsible and accountable for all of my actions.
- I will try to see things from other people’s points of view.
- I will be a wise steward and give generously. I will hold others accountable.
- I will trust others, but not be afraid to ask questions.
- I will not be afraid to change and do things differently when I need to.
As I strive to live these standards I will remember my priorities, which ultimately determine my goals and how I spend my time and make decisions. I believe that the most important things in life are relationships and commitments.
My most important relationships:
1. God is most important in my life! I will strive to love God with all my heart, might, mind, and strength (see Matthew 22:37-39). Loving God means loving all of those around me and standing as a witness of Him in all things.
2. Family members are the next most important relationships in my life. I will show love to them by looking for ways to love and serve them asking, “How can I help or make you happy today?” I will share affection and express why I love and appreciate them each day. I will keep my commitments to them.
3. Friends are also important. I will look for ways to help them. I will strive to be a positive and uplifting influence for friends, co-workers, and colleagues around me. I will also strive to keep in contact with good friends throughout my life.
4. It’s important to be kind to everyone, even acquaintances or strangers. I will look for ways to help and serve others every day.
5. In all of my relationships I will strive to see the good in people. I will strive to never say anything negative about others.
My most important commitments and how they will remain important to me:
1. God and the Gospel of Jesus Christ
a. I will have meaningful prayers morning and evening.
b. I will have a prayer in my heart throughout the day.
c. I will study my scriptures daily.
2. Family
a. I will love, support, and encourage my family members and strengthen relationships.
b. I will tell them often that I love them.
c. I will make family activities a priority.
3. Work
a. I want to always be involved in meaningful work and make a difference for good in the world through my work.
b. I will be dependable and responsible in every job and responsibility I have. I will do what I say I will do.
c. I will not complain or make excuses. I will take responsibility and be proactive.
d. I will work to stay financially stable. I will save money and stay out of debt.
e. I will be frugal, but generous and give to good causes.
4. Church and Service
a. I will look for ways to serve others daily.
b. I will look for ways to share my testimony daily.
c. I will worship in the temple once a week.
d. I will be involved in a community service project at least once a week.
5. Self
a. Intellectual: I want to always be learning something new.
i. I will have meaningful gospel and intellectual discussions daily.
ii. I will always be reading at least one good book.
iii. I will travel someplace new every year.
iv. I will take classes and learn new skills.
v. I will listen to good music.
b. Physical: I want to stay active and healthy.
i. I will exercise at least four times a week—hiking, running, swimming, etc.
ii. I will complete at least one physical challenge a year.
iii. I will enjoy the outdoors and be active. I will explore the world.
c. Social: I want to be happy with who I am and have meaningful relationships.
i. I will choose to be happy.
ii. I will do something fun every day.
iii. I will be open and honest and have confidence in who I am.
iv. I will live in the present.
v. I will express gratitude daily.
vi. I will be friendly and outgoing and try to meet someone new every day.
6. Community
a. I will be involved and stand up for good and important issues in my community.
b. I will look for ways to be involved in serving in my community, nation, and world.
As I strive to live these principles and priorities and make decisions in all aspects of my life I will do the best that I can and assume that others are doing the best they can too.
My Decision-Making Model
Whenever I have a difficult decision to make where there are conflicting priorities or roles I will:
1. Pray for guidance and an open mind and heart.
2. Consider and write down all the facts (in other words, “study it out in [my] mind” D&C 9:8).
3. Identify the main issues and the decision that needs to be made.
4. Identify any stakeholders.
5. Generate alternatives.
6. Analyze the alternatives ethically, practically, intellectually, and spiritually.
7. Make a decision.
8. Pray about the decision and seek confirmation (or, “Ask if it be right” D&C 9:8-9).
9. Act on the decision or go back to analyze the alternatives again.
1 comment:
You totally rock... in case you ever wondered!
Post a Comment