Thursday, January 21, 2010

Good Leaders

I have been to many Sunday School lessons, business meetings, and academic lectures where we discussed what makes a good leader and differentiated between leaders and managers. I have enjoyed many of these discussions and been inspired to want to be a good leader in my life. But, recently I had some of these principles really come to life for me.

After reading part of The Leadership Challenge (great book) and discussing the importance of setting an example, defining personal values, envisioning the future, listening to constituents, communicating vision, being genuine, and speaking from the heart in my Management Strategy class (probably my favorite MPA class so far), I was reading Alma 46-48. I just finished reading in Alma chapter 46 about Moroni recording his vision and standards by creating the Title of Liberty and then running around and personally creating enthusiasm about these values and outlining a shared vision to gather his forces. Then I read in Alma 47:1 that "the king of the Lamanites sent a proclamation throughout all his land" to gather the Lamanites to battle. Which one of these methods would inspire you to action? :)

I have always loved these chapters where we learn that "if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, . . . the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever." He is a "strong and mighty man" with "perfect understanding" who was "firm in the faith of Christ" and "his soul did joy in the liberty and freedom of his country" and his "heart did swell with thanksgiving to his God." All of these things are so important, but the principle that struck me this time as I was reading was the idea of creating a shared vision, communicating that with others PERSONALLY, and encouraging commitment. Moroni was involved with his people and his purpose and passion on the ground level. He was passionate and shared his passion in a way that motivated others. He was THE commander and leader and head of the army, but he was very much involved in helping each person understand their shared goals and mission. He cared for them and knew and worked with them. It was a relationship and not a proclamation (or email or memo from the president). :) Moroni understood how to be a leader.

It certainly helped that he was fighting for something so righteous: "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children" and that the Lord was on his side. :) But his delivery and commitment to his people was also apparent and important and I think that was a major reason he was such a good leader and had so much success.

Everything that Moroni does is in such contrast to Amalickiah who is so self-centered and has no other vision or goal than his own power. Why would anyone want to fight for that? What kind of leader are you? What kind of leader do you want to be? How will you create a vision for yourself and others and inspire them to accomplish it?

1 comment:

SRA said...

Reminds me of an article I was reading in Mormon Times yesterday...http://www.mormontimes.com/mormon_voices/wayne_brickey/?id=12867. I totally agree with what he has to say about patience in leadership. Great stuff.

Also, I have an acquaintance in the MPA program...Ryan Davies? His wife McKenzie was one of my EFY girls many long years ago & is also doing a Masters at BYU, but I'm not sure that it's also an MPA.

And, by the way, I'm now kicking around the idea of going to law school...at BYU...starting next year. Thoughts on doing a grad program at the Y would be appreciated.

I miss seeing you...next time you're in SLC, let me know!