Tonight I was grateful to be reminded of the importance of conversion and stories of how people came to believe and know and trust the Lord and His plan and His gospel. I particularly loved hearing the simple story of a devoted sister who grew up in the Church and said that she has been converted as she has lived the principles of the gospel. As it says in John 7:17, "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." She is a good person and neat example of doing just that. It helped me reflect on my conversion and reminded me of how I must do that in my life. If we want to learn something we need to do it! :) Also, conversion doesn't need to be and shouldn't be a dramatic one-time event, but a continuous process of growth and refinement,.
I love hearing people's conversion stories! It was my favorite thing to ask people about on my mission and since then really (when applicable). People light up and are so excited to share their joy in finding truth and light and peace and the Savior! It's good to be reminded of the examples of sacrifice and faith and commitment of those that choose to follow the Lord and His teachings. It's wonderful to hear of the miracles and tender mercies that lead to these opportunities.
For me, I'm grateful to have been born to parents who taught me the gospel when I was young. I felt of and continue to observe their love for the gospel. Growing up, I remember tiny experiences here and there of feeling the happiness of the gospel in my life as a child, while reading the scriptures together, going to temple grounds, or listening to prophets. Then when I was thirteen years old I read the Book of Mormon for the first time on my own. It became very real to me then and I found the promise in Moroni 10:3-5 to be real and true. It wasn't one event, but the peace and joy and clarity I felt while reading consistently and completely that helped me to know it was good, it was true, it was the word of God. Knowing the Book of Mormon was true was key in believing and knowing for myself that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was true - the same Church Jesus Christ had established when He was here on the earth had been restored through Joseph Smith with priesthood power and authority and continuing revelation to living prophets. I am grateful for this testimony that gives me strength and peace.
In this discussion of conversion I am reminded of a quote by President Harold B. Lee: “Your testimony is something that you have today but you may not have it always. Testimony is as elusive as a moonbeam; it’s as fragile as an orchid; you have to recapture it every morning of your life. You have to hold on by study, and by faith, and by prayer.”
While striving to hold on to and protect and strengthen that fragile moonbeam I am reminded of one of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon - Mosiah 18. Here Alma is teaching the words of Abinadi to the people who have fled from King Noah's rule. They are desirous to learn the word of God and have been converted and wish to be baptized. They are gathered at the waters of Mormon - which is actually where the Book of Mormon got its name. The prophet Mormon, who compiled most of the Book of Mormon, was named after this place where so many came to know of their Redeemer (see 3 Nephi 5:12 and Mosiah 18:30). "...how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever." :)
No comments:
Post a Comment