Sunday, October 23, 2016

Prayer

I have been thinking a lot lately about prayer and fasting.  I'm grateful for its power and the reminder today by our bishop to learn to pray effectively and fervently.  He told us to:

  • Live righteously and don't block the connection to the Spirit in our lives with distractions.
  • Pray morning, noon, and night.  Plan, make it a priority, have it be a continuous conversation.
  • Pray simply and with gratitude and testimony.
  • Ponder carefully what to pray for, prepare ahead of time, organize your thoughts, seek His will.  President Eyring taught: "I have had prayers answered. Those answers were most clear when what I wanted was silenced by an overpowering need to know what God wanted. It is then that the answer from a loving Heavenly Father can be spoken to the mind by the still, small voice and can be written on the heart."
  • Pray boldly, out loud, fervently, wrestle, cry unto Him, ASK!  If we want specific answers we need to prepare and ask specific questions.
  • Answers come in different ways - sometimes immediately as we ask, sometimes as we fast and pray for a long time, and sometimes the answer is no.  Sometimes the Lord expects us to make our own decision.  We should use the scriptures and our agency.
  • Prayer brings us to our Heavenly Father.  What a wonderful blessing to be able to speak to Him!
Here are a few other talks I've enjoyed about prayer:

No comments: