It's not too far off to think that, though, right? After all, we have this invitation from the Savior in Matthew 11:28-30, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." He invites us to come to Him and find rest. I've felt that rest and joy and peace before and I do think it's a reason we go to church, but for whatever reason, and probably for very good reason, every song and lesson was more of a call to action today:
Let Us All Press On
Let us all press on in the work of the Lord,
That when life is o'er we may gain a reward;
In the fight for right let us wield a sword,
The mighty sword of truth.
Fear not, courage, though the enemy deride;
We must be victorious, for the Lord is on our side.
We'll not fear the wicked nor give heed to what they say,
But the Lord, our Heav'nly Father, him alone we will obey.
We will not retreat, though our numbers may be few
When compared with the opposite host in view;
But an unseen pow'r will aid me and you
In the glorious cause of truth.If we do what's right we have no need to fear,
For the Lord, our helper, will ever be near;
In the days of trial his Saints he will cheer,
And prosper the cause of truth.
Hope of Israel
Hope of Israel, Zion's army, Children of the promised day,
See, the Chieftain signals onward, And the battle's in array!
Hope of Israel, rise in might With the sword of truth and right;
Sound the war-cry, "Watch and pray!" Vanquish ev'ry foe today.
See the foe in countless numbers, Marshaled in the ranks of sin.
Hope of Israel, on to battle; Now the vict'ry we must win!
Strike for Zion, down with error; Flash the sword above the foe!
Ev'ry stroke disarms a foeman; Ev'ry step we conq'ring go.
Soon the battle will be over; Ev'ry foe of truth be down.
Onward, onward, youth of Zion; Thy reward the victor's crown.
As Zion's Youth in Latter-days
As Zion's youth in latter days, We stand with valiant heart,
With promise shining in our eyes, Resolved to do our part.
Upon a noble past we build; The future fills our view.
We face the challenge of our day And pledge we will be true.
The truths and values we embrace Are mocked on ev'ry hand.
Yet as we listen and obey We know we can withstand
The evils that would weaken us, The sin that would destroy.
With faith, we hold the iron rod And find in this our joy.
Thru test and trial we'll have our fears, But we will not despair.
We're here to serve a righteous cause; Truth gives us strength to dare.
We'll love, and learn, and overcome; We'll sing a joyful song,
As Zion's youth in latter days, Triumphant, pure, and strong
The Restoration of the Priesthood
A Witness of God by Elder Neil L. Andersen
I sang loudly, I made comments in each of my classes, I participated, I talked to people along the way, I was filled, I found some rest, but mostly I was motivated to not stop, to keep going. We need to go on. There is important, urgent work we need to do. We have been blessed with great truths and blessings and responsibilities and we are asked to share. Others need us and we need them and the chance to learn and grow by forgetting ourselves and serving. We shouldn't run faster than we have strength, but we should keep going.
Two other scriptures come to mind:
- Doctrine and Covenants 128:22, "Shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing."
- Helaman 10:4-5, "Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments. And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever."
A couple of other thoughts about rest:
- Repentance brings rest (see Alma 12:34).
- We should labor diligently that others may find rest in Christ (see Jacob 1:7).
I'm grateful for these reminders and the help that He gives us when we desire rest and when we desire to serve Him. He will give us the strength we need.
No comments:
Post a Comment