I was touched by these verses I read tonight in Enos 1:15 -17. Enos says, "I cried unto [God] continually, for he had said unto me: Whatsoever thing ye shall ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive in the name of Christ, ye shall receive it. And I had faith, and I did cry unto God that he would preserve the records; and he covenanted with me that he would bring them forth unto the Lamanites in his own due time. And I, Enos, knew it would be according to the covenant which he had made; wherefore my soul did rest."
Enos had already prayed to receive forgiveness of his own sins, he had prayed for his brethren, he prayed for all the Nephites, and even the Lamanites. The Lord heard him and promised forgiveness and to bless his brethren. The Lord was able to promise these blessings because of Enos' faith. Through this process and conversation with the Lord, Enos developed "unshaken" faith.
Then, in the verses listed above, Enos asks for the records they're preparing to be preserved for future generations. The Lord promised that Enos would receive anything he asked for in faith. Enos says simply and directly, "I had faith." I love that! He believed and trusted the Lord and His promises. He knew that because he was asking in faith the Lord would bless him according to the covenant He made. And Enos' soul was able to rest - He knew the Lord would keep His promise and bless him to receive what he asked for in faith.
The Lord makes this same promise to each of us. If we ask in faith we shall receive. This promise is found throughout the scriptures (see Matthew 7, 3 Nephi 27, D&C 4, 6, 11, 12, 14, 88, to name a few). Maybe the example of Enos and his "wrestle" and conversation with the Lord is not only a reminder of the importance of prayer and those conversations with the Lord, but the fact that those conversations also help us to recognize our faith. Our relationship with the Lord makes our faith "unshaken" and our souls can rest because all things will be "according to the covenant he has made."
I also think it's interesting that Enos' specific prayer was one that others before him had prayed. It was something God intended. It was His will that future generations have these words. It wasn't a selfish desire, it was the Lord's will. I think that true and unshaken faith has something to do with understanding the Lord's will to some degree. We can have unshaken faith because we know it's something He would want. When our desires are in line with the Lord's will it's easier to have faith in His ability to send those blessings.
We may not be writing spiritual records that we know will be preserved for generations or walking across the plains in handcarts, but we still go forward every day with faith in every footstep! I'm grateful for the reminder to recognize and declare my faith in Lord (simple and direct) as much for me as for anyone else. I have faith. I know where it comes from, how I can find more, and what it can do, really what He can do, because He promised. And my souls rests, too. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment