Saturday, November 1, 2008

District of Columbia

It was an amazing trip to Washington D.C.!


We had the chance to visit about 15 Federal agencies and non-profits to look for jobs and internships: FEMA, Partnership for Public Service, USAID, GAO, State Department, Family Research Council, Ethics Resource Center, CBO, Nancy Pelosi's office, Department of Interior, United Way, Koch Foundation, and the Heritage Foundation. I learned so much and got a better idea about what types of jobs and internships are out there.

I also learned more about Washington and got a feel for the city. I really liked it a lot and would LOVE to live and work there this summer, so I need to get busy on my internship applications. :) I think that the most valuable thing I learned though was about myself. Being in such a historic and important place surrounded by so many people working hard on public issues made me realize I really need to figure out what my passion and mission in life is and then go for it! It's important to have confidence and stand up for what's right. Kind of like Esther, I feel like I need to find out where I belong, what has led me to the place I am in my life, and to take advantage of the opportunities to stand up and do right! I also thought a lot about balance in life and how it's important to push ourselves to be excellent and do all we can, but not to forget what is most important (which Elder Uchtdorf talks about in October's hometeaching message--Christlike attributes). There is power in example and I was grateful for the amazing examples of the people I went with that encouraged me to better.

We got to see some very cool places. We got a special private tour of the Capitol Building, toured the diplomatic hosting rooms at the State Department (which includes Thomas Jefferson's desk), drove by most of the monuments, walked by the White House, and I got to go to the Washington DC Temple which was a highlight!

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

I'm amazed at how much you were able to squeeze into such a short time!
The people you went with feel the same amazing example from you too I'm sure. Your program is so important ... what an impact for good you each are, and will continue to be, in the world. <3

joyce said...

Wow!!! What a cool experience! I am so excited for you and all that you have learned...and all that you are learning...I can't wait to see what you do with all you've been given! Love ya! xoxo

Hilarie said...

That sounds like fun! I've never been there before, oh wait I take that back my family drove through during a family trip at like 2 am and I was the only one that was actually asleep! :) That would be so cool to live there, at least it would be closer to GA!

Janessa Taylor said...

That is awesome! Loved the pictures!! I can't believe you got to visit Nancy Pelosi's OFFICE...I want to gouge her eyes out, so I don't think they'd let me go :) You are far more Christlike than I am, so that's probably why they let you, hehe. I am jealous--I want to go to the DC Temple!!! Awesome! ps. we still have to get together!

Janie said...

Way to go Heather! Go to that city and make history. What a fabulous summer to be there.

The Sakais said...

Heather, I'm SO sad we didn't meet up!!!! We just moved from D.C. about 45 min. away to Southern Maryland. Please contact me whenever you get over here again. My cell (202)316-9061. Kim Sakai (Kauwe)