I moved from Capitol Hill today. It has been an amazing, wonderful experience to live so close to the center of decision-making in our country and the symbol of power and freedom.
I love that I’ve had the chance to walk everyday by the Capitol, Union Station, and down Massachusetts Avenue towards Chinatown and experience the city on my way to work. I felt connected to the world around me as I saw business professionals on their way to work (some obviously with very important jobs, but all of us making a difference in our sphere of influence), tourists coming to see the sights, vendors selling papers and breakfast, and homeless people sleeping on the grass or sharing their musical talents.
Seeing so many interesting people has made me think about what an interesting world we live in. We really are all the same. Whether you're a Senator, a President, a government employee, a bus driver, a security guard, a CVS clerk, a homeless person....we are all here trying to do our best to be happy. :)
Last night a few famous people became more real to me when I got to watch one of the last Senate voting sessions before they take their long summer break. It was so amazing to watch the process....the Senators walking around the floor voting, talking, wandering...kind of chaotic, but very interesting. Each party gets one minute each to say why they are for or against a certain bill and then the roll call and voting begins. The clerk reads through the names, marks their votes, and the presiding Senator gives the results and they move on to the next vote. There were all the famous politicians I've seen and heard about on TV...John McCain, John Kerry, Daniel Inouye, Robert Bennett, Orrin Hatch, Burris, Dodd, Feinstein, Harry Reid (who congratulated everyone on a productive week and told everyone to have a nice vacation)....just wandering around the floor taking care of the business of the country. It was cool to be there. (We just missed the historic Sotomayor vote, but were there for the Cash for Clunkers extension vote.)
As we were leaving we went down the wrong elevator and ended up walking around the first floor of the Capitol right near the Senate Gallery (I think where all the Senators' hideaways are). No one was around. It was quite amazing to be exploring the historic Capitol so closely. :) We quickly turned around once we realized where we were and headed back to the Vistor Center. It was pretty neat though. :)
I also just finished "Team of Rivals” which is the story of Abraham Lincoln and his cabinet. It was a wonderful and inspiring book. I am encouraged by the example of others who were brave and stood for right! I am grateful for leaders that held the Union together and helped make our country what it is today. After my readings, I was really touched last night re-reading Lincoln's second inaugural address ("with malice toward none; with charity for all") at the Lincoln Memorial ("the temple" where the "memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever") and then listening to the U.S. Army band play the national anthem on the Capitol steps. What a symbol it is of "the land of the free and the home of the brave" and to think that Lincoln was the one that insisted work go foward on the Capitol dome during the Civil War as a symbol of the strengh of the Union. It's neat that Lincoln was inaugurated there when it was finished, right before the War ended and he died. It's wonderful to have reminders of heroes that have gone before and let them inspire us to move forward in righteousness today!
Saturday, August 8, 2009
I ♥ DC!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
inspiring heather! i'm happy you have been able to do so much this summer. you have certainly taken advantage of your surroundings!
i have got to read that book too... as soon as it and you arrive back in utah <3
love you <3
Post a Comment