Saturday, September 19, 2009

Top of Utah (26.2 in 4:23)



I feel like this has been a wonderful year of reaching for my dreams and making my goals happen....with the help of my dad! :) Some of my goals I've worked on this year....graduate school, living in DC, going to Africa, hiking the Grand Canyon, and now completing a marathon! :)

It was an early morning in Logan today, but a beautiful one!!! :) The weather was great and 14 miles of downhill to begin was wonderful! It was neat to be out there exercising, enjoying the beautiful day and beginning of the fall leaves, and running with 2000 other people.

It was so neat to be cheered on by the crowds, family, volunteers, and other runners! :) It made me think about how that is really what life is all about....cheering for each other and helping each other succeed and press on.

It's neat to work towards a goal that pushes you to reach a new height and teaches you the importance of enduring to the end. It was a pretty overwhelming experience to run the last tenth of a mile to the finish line...to feel the sense of accomplishment knowing I was done...I was so happy and exhausted I could have collapsed right there! :) I didn't, but that's how it felt! :)

It actually went by quickly (in my mind looking back now). :) I felt remarkably well the whole time....no cramps, probably just under 2 miles of walking total, and besides blisters behind my big toes and the fact that I'd like to sleep for the next week :) I feel great!

It was a great day! Thanks for pushing me and helping me reach my goals, dad. :)

3 comments:

Cari said...

way to go! you are my hero! :)

Kathryn said...

you did AWESOME Heather!!!
luff you <3
what an example in setting and achieving goals :)

amanda said...

Wow!!!! You are so awesome!! Sorry this is a late comment, I am catching up with you. I can totally see you doing a marathon, but it is crazy you did it at such a busy time! I was inspired by your code of ethics, too. All I can say is wow.