Sunday, November 28, 2010

Children of Our Heavenly Father

This song (LDS Hymns #299) by Caroline Sandell-Berg really touched me today:

"Children of our Heavenly Father
Safely in his bosom gather;
Nestling bird nor star in heaven
Such a refuge e'er was given.

Neither life nor death shall ever
From the Lord his children sever;
Unto them his grace he showeth,
And their sorrows all he knoweth.

Though he giveth or he taketh,
God his children ne'er forsaketh;
His the loving purpose solely
To preserve them pure and holy."

These words seem to go right along with President James E. Faust's quote, "He loves us so much more than He loves our happiness (Oct. 2004)." I love the scriptures in the notes of this hymn as well:
  • D&C 61:36, "And now, verily I say unto you, and what I say unto one I say unto all, be of good cheer, little children; for I am in your midst, and I have not forsaken you;"
  • Psalms 145:9, "The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works."

I also really like the hymn How Firm a Foundation (LDS Hymns #85) and the following scriptures and quote:
  • Isaiah 41:10, "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."
  • Isaiah 43:2-5
  • In her April 2008 talk, At All Times, and In All Things, and In All Places, Sister Elaine Dalton said, "I felt lost and alone, and I started to cry....Do any of you ever feel like you’re running up Heartbreak Hill and that even though there are people lining the route, you are alone? That’s how I felt. So I did what every one of you would do—I began to pray right there on that marathon route. I told Heavenly Father that I was alone and that I was on a hill. I told Him that I was discouraged and afraid and that I felt lost....I learned that no matter how well prepared you think you are, there are hills on the course. I learned that people cheering for you along the way are absolutely essential. I learned again that day that we are never alone. Our Heavenly Father is only a prayer away, and the Holy Ghost is within whispering distance."

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3