Thursday, November 18, 2010

Defining the Relationship

Nope. Don't worry. I'm not dating anyone or trying to define that relationship right now :), but I was thinking about something interesting today....I am in charge of helping to administer a 360° assessment to about 270 people we are working with in a leadership program at work. Today I was checking some of the data for accuracy and I thought it was interesting to see how people identify their relationship with someone and then to see that sometimes the other person sees their relationship differently. And when does someone become a "Friend" and not a "Peer"? Can't we all just be friends? :) Ha, ha, ha.

I've been thinking a lot about friends lately. Moving to a new place and being in many new and different situations you learn a lot about yourself and others as you make friends. Everyone needs friends. In fact, one of the questions often asked to help determine job satisfaction is whether you have a best friend at work. Interesting.

But I think it goes much beyond that. We all want to find someone that really understands us. What is a real, true friend? How do we find one? How do we be one? I think this is a key to happiness in life. :) I love this song by Michael McLean! :) We are all so different. We each have unique talents and interests and desires, but it's always nice to a friend nearby that understands you. :) Be that friend! :)

No comments: