Monday, August 22, 2011

Leadership

So, I have been thinking A LOT about leadership this last year. I just finished a full year with the Excellence in Government Fellows program--a leadership program for federal government managers at the GS-14 and -15 level. It was really interesting to get to participate with a group of 28 government leaders and see them learn and discuss principles of leadership--creating a vision, getting results, leading people, leading change, building partnerships, and developing business acumen. I think these are all interesting and important principles and examples can be found in many organizations and people around the country--we traveled from DC to Portland, Chicago and Pennsylvania for some of our sessions to learn from leaders across government, nonprofit and the private sector. It was interesting to observe the leadership journey of the participants. I'm sure I learned quite a bit in the process too.

Outside of the program I have been reading several other leadership books and thinking about what it really means and why it's important. Some of my main thoughts and ponderings on leadership include:
* Humility is a key to leadership.
* Integrity is vital as well.
* I really liked The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness, by Stephen Covey.
* I think there is something important about generosity and gratitude for good leaders.
* A leadership strength is talent times investment.
* There are many great leaders throughout history, but one of my favorites is Captain Moroni. We learn a lot about him in Alma 48,"if all man had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men."
* In my leadership search I found that there is actually an LDS Institute class on Principles of Leadership. I found this manual online the other day and really quite like it and look forward to reading and studying it more carefully.
* Elder Bednar has talked a lot recently about how we are all agents to choose to act or be acted upon. We are all leaders and must choose what we will do for good.
* I think that the very best thoughts on leadership come in Doctrine & Covenants 58, specifically verses 26 through 28, "For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward. Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness; For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward."
* We don't have to have a special position in order to influence and help and lead others. We simply need to be true to who we are and stand up for what's right where we are.
* We were recently challenged to outline our personal mission statement for work. Here's what I came up with: I will live with integrity, being true to myself and my values (being kind, being humble). I will persistently and responsibly pursue my passion to help people.

In summary, leadership is important. We are all leaders. We can lead quietly. Each choice we make may be leading someone else or simply leading ourselves towards our future. The choices we make are important. These things we do and sometimes the things we don't do have a lasting impact.

No comments: