Sunday, October 9, 2011

Proactive Disciples

I have been thinking a lot about the importance of being proactive over the course of the last year (it's kind of the culture of DC), but especially in the last few weeks.

We are agents for ourselves. We can choose and we must choose to act or be acted upon, as Elder Bednar often likes to talk about. He gave some very neat counsel at General Conference a couple of weeks ago when he said that we need to "be learners who act and thereby receive additional light and knowledge by the power of the Holy Ghost--not merely passive students who primarily are acted upon."

As we learn in D&C 58:26-28, "It is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward. Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness; For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward."

In her most recent talk on personal revelation and testimony, Sister Thompson referred to a great moment in the scriptures in 1 Nephi 15 where Laman and Lemuel told Nephi that they couldn't understand the words their father, Lehi, taught them. Nephi asks simply, "Have ye inquired of the Lord?" And they said, "We have not; for the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us." Here is a perfect example of the importance of asking, working and finding out for yourself what's right and doing it...being an active disciple of Christ and not a passive follower!

I'm grateful for these examples and reminders. I love General Conference! I feel like we are at a very important and crucial time in history. We need to choose who we are and what we stand for. We need to not be shy about sharing our beliefs and values. There is urgency being proactive about learning and doing what's right. Here's a link to some of the highlights and another fun reminder to Seize the Day! :)

No comments: