Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Humility and Sharing Truth

I think there are very interesting and exciting conversations going on right now in our country about religion.  Here are a few articles I liked recently:
I was struck by a comment someone made on the New York Times article about missionaries in Uganda.  The writer was offended by the arrogance of missionaries being sent all over the world to tell people they were wrong and to join them.  This made me think.  First of all, I was sorry that he felt that way.  I wonder if he has talked to a missionary or member of the church about our beliefs.  I hope that's not the way we come across when we do talk to people.

Having been a missionary several years ago I can say that it's only love that motivated me to share my beliefs.  There are many beliefs and ideas in the world today.  I don't know or understand them all, but like to learn and do believe in a loving Heavenly Father who wouldn't have us be confused about where to find Him.  I believe that as we find precious truth our love for our fellowmen creates a desire within us to share.  I hope that spirit of love and humility is how we share our knowledge of the gospel.  Regardless of anyone's beliefs God loves all of His children and we should too.  :)

The more I learn and think and live I realize that pride really is the greatest sin.  We must constantly check ourselves and consider why and how we are doing something.  We must have an eye single to His glory and will and not our own.  Easier said than done, but it should be the focus and goal.

I want to be ready and involved in sharing my testimony and example of my beliefs in humility, but confidence.  There are some cool websites and resources the Church has created and we should be ready always to share who we are!  :)

No comments: