Thursday, June 14, 2012

Things I Learned in DC....

In honor of flag day (and because I finally finished this post) I'm catching up a little bit and celebrating DC.  :)  It's been quite the year so far--much different than I expected in many ways, but I'm grateful for experiences and opportunities to learn and grow.  Here's a little bit about the unfolding of the last four months.
  
It was a hard decision, but I decided to quit my job in DC and move back to Salt Lake to work in an office I had already worked in before.  I'm still learning the reasons I'm here.  It didn't make complete sense, but everyday I feel more and more that it's exactly right.  I'm grateful for the the opportunity to live purposefully.  That's the goal every day.  Remember who I am and act accordingly!  :)  


I am grateful for the time and experiences and opportunities I had in DC.  I know I needed to be there.  It was wonderful!  I learned so much that will shape my life going forward:
  • An appreciation for history and monuments to commemorate important events, people and principles
  • An appreciation for the complexity of the federal government and specifically the Department of Education
  • The importance of good leaders and leadership
  • The importance of integrity, genuineness, humility
  • The importance of proactively working to make things happen and get things done
  • The reality of good people everywhere!
  • The importance and goodness of exercise!
  • The joy of reading and learning!
  • A greater confidence in what you can learn from job interviews
  • The importance of good mentors
  • The excitement of new things going on everyday
  • The opportunity to be involved in service in the community
  • An appreciation for a different kind of beauty--trees, rivers, cherry blossoms, diversity, civic involvement
  • The importance of standing up for what you believe in and letting your voice be heard
  • The importance and blessing of visiting teaching--companions, visiting teachees, visiting teachers, devoted Relief Society sisters
  • The importance and blessing of temple attendance
  • A greater appreciation for art and museums
  • The importance of good friends
  • A love for the East Coast and the many adventures and opportunities for travel and learning
  • The confidence that I can drive across the country and back and many places in between
  • A greater confidence in my ability to work with people at all levels
  • The importance of a strong personal testimony not based on anything social
  • The reality that we can make a difference for good
  • The importance of choosing to be happy, regardless of circumstances
  • The importance of gratitude
  • The importance of space and memories
  • A greater appreciation for family
  • The importance of being yourself 
  • The importance of remembering who you are and where you're from
Now I'm back in a similar, but slightly different, routine in Salt Lake.  I'm grateful for the time and experiences I was able to have outside of Utah.  I feel very blessed.  I know I needed them and I'm grateful for the new opportunities here and am looking forward to the next adventures!  :)  


I heard a sweet story recently of a father mourning the loss of a child at an early age, but responding he was grateful for the time he had to know and be with this child.  Isn't that an example of the way to live and be happy?  Living with gratitude and faith to move forward as the Lord leads.  Making this list has helped me remember the great blessings of my experiences of the past couple of years and the importance of moving forward in faith!  :)

2 comments:

Kate said...

Heather, you are always so positive. I love it :)

SRA said...

Good seeing you the other day. One of the better things about living here and working on TSquare is being able to just walk over to the temple after work, isn't it?