I believe in and LOVE home. I've been thinking a little bit lately about what makes a home. How do you create a home? Is just a physical location and place we live and put our things? Is it about the people we live with? Is it contentment about where we are?
When I think of home I think of FAMILY. I think of friends and over 30 different roommates. I think of Hawaii, Korea, Provo, DC, Salt Lake. I think of how growing up I loved to be at home and with my family. I liked doing things with my friends, but I loved having them come to my home. It was a place I was comfortable and happy.
I think that HOME is less about physical things and places and more about people and purpose. A home can be simple. We don't need a lot, but we need a reason for what we do and chances to serve and love.
I think this song describes my thoughts perfectly: Home is a Special Kind of Feeling.
And so does this song - Home - that was written by my great grandmother, Caroline Eyring Miner. :)
Home is where the heart is
And warmth and love abound.
Home is where warm, circling arms
Go all the way around.
Home is where there's father,
With strength and wisdom true.
Home is where there's mother
And all the children too.
Home is where our Father,
Who dwells in heav'n above,
Guides us in the way we live
And lets us feel his love.
I loved Elder Richard G. Scott's conference talk last week, For Peace at Home, about the importance of creating a peaceful and Christ-centered home. Although right now I don't have a family of my own, I think that family is one of the most important things that makes a home. :) This Proclamation to the World about FAMILY by prophets of God is so important in teaching us what family and home is and why it's so important. I'm grateful for this instruction and direction and know that as we build homes patterned after these teachings we will be happy.
On a somewhat related note, I thought that this article - Relationships Are More Important Than Ambition - has some interesting and timely points about the importance and priority of relationships in life. I think that we can't underestimate the importance of HOME.
2 comments:
Great post Heather! All your posts are great, but I love this one especially with Grandma Miner's poem. I love Elder Scott's talk and the article in the Atlantic. I'll email you an article from the WSJournal that is related also. Shows what a difference a good family can make.
Always love your blog!
I need to read Atlantic articles more often. This one was good too ...http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/01/theres-more-to-life-than-being-happy/266805/
Love You!!
Post a Comment