Saturday, October 19, 2013

Missionaries

For some reason and many reasons and all of a sudden, today I am particularly grateful for the wonderful opportunity I had to serve for eighteen months as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  It's almost been 12 years since I returned, but that decision and experience has blessed my life in more ways than I can count or that I probably even know.  I'm grateful for the wonderful people I was able to serve with - companions, other missionaries, leaders and members who taught me so much!  I'm grateful for those that I met and taught and loved and served and learned from.  I'm grateful for the beautiful and wonderful places and neighborhoods that I got to know so well in South Korea.  I love Busan and Daegu!  I think there is at least one person or lesson or experience or scripture or place or blessing I'm reminded of from my mission everyday.

I LOVE this video - Mormon Missionaries!  This is what missionaries are and what they do.  For two years after returning from my mission I worked as a teacher at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah.  Here's some information and a video that depicts what life is like there as thousands of missionaries prepare to go to all of the world to teach of Jesus Christ.  Here's a fun way some missionaries recently shared the joy of the Plan of Salvation!  :)  Recently Michael Otterson reported in the Washington Post of More Mormons on a Mission.

I'm excited each day when I think about the opportunities I have to continue to share my love for the teachings and Church of Jesus Christ.  Recently at a stake conference meeting our stake president asked all of the missionaries to stand up and sing a musical number, Called to Serve.  We are a unique stake because we have a whole branch of full-time church and family history missionaries, so I think everyone was looking to them to stand up, but the stake president waited for all of us to stand - we are all missionaries.

I recently read a WONDERFUL book by Clayton Christensen called The Power of Everyday Missionaries.  There is much we can do to reach out to those around us in love.  The best way to be a missionary is to love and invite and include and be friends with everyone.  There is power in living the gospel and not being afraid to share how it blesses us with others.


So, go forth and let your light so shine!!  :)

No comments: