Remember that great verse - probably the first one that you ever memorized? 1 Nephi 3:7. Nephi says to his father, "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." And after journeying and coming up with several ideas (that didn't work) and trying again and showing the Lord He was willing to listen and follow, he succeeded in obtaining the brass plates.
I feel like I have seen that promise come to life for me recently. We have been encouraged to be more engaged in family history work. I set a goal for myself to index 2000 names this year (that's more than twice the number of names I've indexed in my whole lifetime up until now). I knew it would push me and I was off to a slow start. I got serious about it again a few weeks ago and last week, as I was being more diligent, I stumbled across a very easy assignment (UK electors lists)....that helped me exceed my goal this week....and it's still November! :) I did some harder ones too, but finding this project helped motivate me to keep working....and then I found some other enjoyable projects (Jamaica, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana wedding and death certificates). These projects gave me the chance to think more about these people and their lives - how they loved and lived and died. It's exciting and wonderful work! If you haven't tried it yet, sign up here.
I know that this is just the beginning and there is so much more I need to do, but I know that the Lord will bless us and help us to accomplish that which He needs us to do or that which we strive to do in righteousness! I know that this applies to other things - like actual family history research, finding a home, someday creating a family, etc, etc. Those all sound a little bit more overwhelming to me now, but if He can help with indexing goals I know it applies to all aspects life as we work and have faith and trust in the Lord. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment