Monday, September 22, 2014

What does He need to teach us?

These are a lot of thoughts I've been gathering, thinking, pondering over the last month....

September 7 - Stake Conference
I was inspired by our stake and regional conference at the beginning of September that started with a stake temple session and Friday evening session of conference where we were asked to consider what the Lord needs to teach us right now.  For me personally some of the messages that came to mind were losing my life for Him and in His work, praising Him, doing all I can to support Him (as the angel did in the garden), remembering that the Spirit can and will teach us what to do (see 2 Nephi 32:3, 5) and that the blessings of the gospel are for ALL.  I was inspired again that we are here NOW to serve and nourish the vineyard for the last time.

Two new epiphanies for me were in these profound ideas:
* "Love builds pathways to covenants!"  I think that applies in missionary work, strengthening our own testimonies and faith, and in building relationships with others.  This is important!
* Doing family history blesses every part of our life!  As we are involved in family history we strengthen our family relationships on both sides of the veil and with our current and future families and even blesses other aspects of our life.  This is important!

This little video is really cute and makes me excited about getting involved:

The Sunday morning session included more inspiration, with a clear focus on strengthening families through personal, companion, and family prayer, scripture study, unity, temple attendance, and family home evening.  I was inspired to study, to pray, to serve in the temple, to build families!!  Sometimes a strong focus on family can be discouraging when you're single, but today I was very uplifted and inspired by the messages - I was encouraged to know that is the plan, the purpose, the goal.  It's what I want more than anything!  I love my family!  I love the Lord!  I know this is the eternal plan and I know He is mindful of us each in our missions and work and lives on the earth, especially as we strive to want what He wants.

September 14 - CES Devotional:  Saving Your Life
Speaking of wanting what He wants....if you haven't watched last month's CES Devotional, you should.  In order to save our life we must lose it in Him (see Matthew 10:39).

Partly because of things I had already been thinking about the week before, the opening song was particularly pertinent to the message, I think:

In Hymns of Praise
In hymns of praise your voices raise To him who reigns on high,
Whose counsels keep the mighty deep, Who ruleth earth and sky.

Exalt his name in loud acclaim; His mighty pow'r adore!
And humbly bow before him now, Our King forevermore.
Beneath his hand, at his command, The shining planets move;
To all below they daily show His wisdom and his love.
The little flow'r that lasts an hour, The sparrow in its fall,
They, too, shall share his tender care; He made and loves them all.
Then sing again in lofty strain To him who dwells on high;
To prayers you raise, and songs of praise, He sweetly will reply.


And some of the words of the choir's number were very helpful to me as well -
Be still, my soul:  Thy God doth undertake 
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake; 
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul:  The waves and winds still know 
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Some of my key takeaways were:
* The best way to love someone is to put the Savior first!
* Our lives should be a confession of Christ!
* Make your faith public; be unashamed of Christ!
* Lose your life in the will of the Father.
* Personal development matters as we build a Christ-like character.

September 21 - Ogden Utah Temple Re-dedication
It was really special to participate in the Ogden Utah Temple Re-dedication the following week.  What a sweet spirit, special occasion, and celebration!  Hosanna for the blessings of temple!  I was inspired by the words and blessings of the temple....and our family discussion about it later that evening.  We are blessed to have temples near, to be instructed by prophets and leaders, and to have the Holy Ghost teach us and inspire us and help us draw closer to the Lord.

No comments: