Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Work

I'm grateful for the strength and ability and opportunity to work....to try to make a meaningful contribution in the world....for good!  After a couple of full weeks and days I've been feeling a bit tired, but also invigorated.

Two thoughts about work came into my mind today...

The Prophet Joseph Smith said, "The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done” (History of the Church, 4:540).

Obviously there's more work to do because He hasn't said that it's done yet.  :)  That's exciting and motivating to me!  I can feel His hastening of His work.

Tonight I walked into the temple feeling a bit weighed down by responsibilities and felt immediate peace.  Then I recognized the music being played on the organ as this beautiful sacrament hymn connecting in my mind the importance of doing the work He gives us!

Behold the Great Redeemer Die
Behold the great Redeemer die, A broken law to satisfy.
He dies a sacrifice for sin, That man may live and glory win.

While guilty men his pains deride, They pierce his hands and feet and side;
And with insulting scoffs and scorns, They crown his head with plaited thorns.
Although in agony he hung, No murm'ring word escaped his tongue.
His high commission to fulfill, He magnified his Father's will.
"Father, from me remove this cup. Yet, if thou wilt, I'll drink it up.
I've done the work thou gavest me; Receive my spirit unto thee."
He died, and at the awful sight The sun in shame withdrew its light!
Earth trembled, and all nature sighed, In dread response, "A God has died!"
He lives--he lives. We humbly now Around these sacred symbols bow
And seek, as Saints of latter days, To do his will and live his praise.

I'm grateful for the temple.  I'm grateful for His work, for His love.  I know that He sustains us as we desire and WORK to do His will!  <3

No comments: