Sunday, January 22, 2017

Reflections and Inspiration

I'm grateful for some experiences this week that have made me think and want to be better:

1.  I love Trax, not only to avoid the traffic and weather, but because it gives me so much time to read!  I probably get too tied to my books or Gospel Library though and want to be more aware of those around me.  A sweet girl sat by me this week.  I was glued to my phone and she sat quietly on her phone, too, I think, for most of the morning ride.  As I started to pack up and to get ready to get off at my stop she turned to me and said, "What were you reading in the Gospel Library today?  What did you learn?  What did you like?  I'm asking you to teach me!"  WOW!  It was so wonderful!  It was an unexpected, but welcome conversation.  I wish we could have meaningful and thoughtful conversations with strangers (and friends) all the time!  I was so surprised by her question that I didn't really know what to say, but I was grateful!  Ever since then I have tried to not only notice those I'm sitting by and be a little less book-ish, but also be sure that when I close my book or phone I have something that I could share or teach someone else.

2.  I love the song, "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go."  I've sung it many times and in many settings, but for some reason today when we sang it at work it had increased meaning.  I'll go where You want me to go.  Truly, what does He want me to say?  Not, what do I think, but what does He think and want expressed?  Where does He want me to work?  What does He want me to do while I'm there?  I'll go.  I'll be loyal to Him (like Elizabeth Ann Claridge McCune's father)!

3.  We don't need to wait for trials to make us better, we can and should proactively each day be working to overcome the natural man.  "For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father" (Mosiah 3:19).  That's the goal and our purpose here - to learn and to grow and to become more like Him.  Sometimes trials or opportunities come our way to help us along that path, but I'm grateful for the reminder that we don't need to wait.  Striving to be better should already be our focus and desire and then hopefully we don't have to be compelled as often to be humble.  ;)

4.  What's he doing?  Can we give him some money?  Do you have some money?  Let's go back and give him our orange.  ;)

No comments: