Joseph Smith taught, "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it."
We learn from the Bible Dictionary, "One of the most fundamental doctrines taught by the Twelve was that Jesus was risen from the tomb, with His glorified, resurrected body, as in Acts 1:21–22; 2:32; 3:15; 4:33. To obtain a resurrection with a celestial, exalted body is the center point of hope in the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Resurrection of Jesus is the most glorious of all messages to mankind."
I love this and believe it! This year I have had a few thoughts about Easter that have brought more peace and direction:
First and foremost, I love the Lord, our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know that He lives. Because He conquered death and sin He brings hope now and forever! We will be resurrected. We will live again. We can change. We can become like Him. That's why we're here on this earth. To learn of Him and walk in His ways. We need His help all along the way. He is there. We can walk with Him. I'm grateful for our Heavenly Father's love in sending Jesus to earth to live for us!
I had a thought about Mary Magdalene recently. Each of the gospel writers record the events of the Resurrection slightly differently, but we know that Mary was the first to see Him. What a special privilege. I started wondering what made that possible. Maybe He would have come to her first wherever she was, but I tend to think that she did some things that made her ready. She had come to the tomb with others and when they saw that it was empty the others left, but she stayed. Maybe she stayed because she was sad, maybe she wanted time alone to process and mourn, maybe she wanted to be close to Him or where he last was? Maybe? Maybe she felt like she should stay for some other reason? I don't know why she stayed, but I believe she was where she was supposed to be. She truly loved the Lord, that's all she could think about, she wanted to be with Him and so she was there when He came. She was where she was supposed to be. And He came to her. Where should we be? Do we seek Him above everything else? Are we willing to wait? Are we open and vulnerable enough to express our love to Him? I was touched by a beautiful sign in the Mesa Arizona Temple that I visited for this first time this weekend. It was a simple, but powerful scripture from the Sermon on the Mount, "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God." I believe that's what the pure in heart would desire and work for and prepare for and focus on - above all else wanting to be with Him.
First and foremost, I love the Lord, our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know that He lives. Because He conquered death and sin He brings hope now and forever! We will be resurrected. We will live again. We can change. We can become like Him. That's why we're here on this earth. To learn of Him and walk in His ways. We need His help all along the way. He is there. We can walk with Him. I'm grateful for our Heavenly Father's love in sending Jesus to earth to live for us!
I had a thought about Mary Magdalene recently. Each of the gospel writers record the events of the Resurrection slightly differently, but we know that Mary was the first to see Him. What a special privilege. I started wondering what made that possible. Maybe He would have come to her first wherever she was, but I tend to think that she did some things that made her ready. She had come to the tomb with others and when they saw that it was empty the others left, but she stayed. Maybe she stayed because she was sad, maybe she wanted time alone to process and mourn, maybe she wanted to be close to Him or where he last was? Maybe? Maybe she felt like she should stay for some other reason? I don't know why she stayed, but I believe she was where she was supposed to be. She truly loved the Lord, that's all she could think about, she wanted to be with Him and so she was there when He came. She was where she was supposed to be. And He came to her. Where should we be? Do we seek Him above everything else? Are we willing to wait? Are we open and vulnerable enough to express our love to Him? I was touched by a beautiful sign in the Mesa Arizona Temple that I visited for this first time this weekend. It was a simple, but powerful scripture from the Sermon on the Mount, "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God." I believe that's what the pure in heart would desire and work for and prepare for and focus on - above all else wanting to be with Him.
I love the temples and feel like they are one of the greatest symbols of our Heavenly Father's love and our Savior's triumph over the tomb. We visit temples to make covenants with God and to do work for our ancestors who died without the chance to make their own covenants. In 1918, President Joseph Fielding Smith received a beautiful vision and understanding of the Spirit World (recorded in D&C 138) and how, during the time between His death and resurrection, the Savior organized His faithful followers in the Spirit World to preach the gospel and that leaves a lot of temple work for us to do. This weekend I had the chance to spend a lot of time in the temple and I'm grateful for the peace and purpose and hope and direction I find there personally and for the promised blessings to each of our Heavenly Father's children offered there.
"He is risen. Tell is out with joyful voice."
"He lives, my one sure rock of faith, The one bright hope of men on earth"
"What praises can we offer To thank thee, Lord most high?"
"I believe in Christ; he is my King! With all my heart to him I'll sing;"
"He lives! All glory to His name!"
"Love's redeeming work is done, Alleluia!"
No comments:
Post a Comment