Sometimes I can't exactly pinpoint why life feels so hard or lonely or stressful or directionless, but sometimes that's just how it is. Even after a day of inspiring opportunities to discuss the gospel - learning about service, and consecration, and talking about "Am I Good Enough? Will I Make It?" - I was feeling a little low. So, I stopped to visit my Grandma at her Alzheimer's care center on my way home. I spent more time with her than usual. I joined her for their Sunday evening singing time and was touched. Music is a blessing and has the power to heal hearts and minds. It's hard to see her decline, but music sure brings her to life more than anything else. It's amazing that she can recognize the tunes and remember the words to songs when she can't remember a lot of other things.
I feel like one of the popular Easter songs this year has been a song by Jenny Phillips called Gethsemane. I haven't particularly loved it until I heard children singing it to this group and I pictured what Christ had done for this sweet group of people and the gift that He offers all of us. He suffered willingly for each of us and He can heal us.
Gethsemane
Jesus climbed the hill
To the garden still
His steps were heavy and slow
Love and a prayer
Took Him there
To the place only He could go
Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He went willingly
To Gethsemane
He felt all that was sad, wicked or bad
All the pain we would ever know
While His friends were asleep
He fought to keep
His promise made long ago
Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He went willingly
To Gethsemane
The hardest thing That ever was done
The greatest pain that ever was known
The biggest battle that ever was won
This was done by Jesus.
The fight was won by Jesus.
Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So he gave His gift to me
In Gethsemane
This same group of children also sang I Am a Child of God. This one always bring peace and a reminder of who we are, really. ;)
But I think the most healing song for me today were the words of the the song our ward choir has been practicing for months. I've loved it ever since we started singing it, but it might have been just for me today that I we sang it. ;)
Go Ye Now in Peace
Go ye now in peace and know that the love of God will guide you
Feel His presence here beside you showing you the way
In your time of trouble, when hurt and despair are there to grieve you
Know that the Lord will never leave you
He will bring you courage
Know that the God sent his Son to die that you might live
Will never leave you lost and alone in His beloved world
Go ye now in peace
I'm grateful for the power of music and how it heals my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment