Friday, December 27, 2019

"For now we see through a glass darkly"

The last few months a phrase from 1 Corinthians 13:12 has taken on new meaning for me.  "For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." This verse is surrounded by faith, hope, and charity; characteristics of the Savior. 

This verse is descriptive in a way that I can relate to well.  I've never had wonderful eyesight, but with glasses since I was three and dependable contacts since I was fourteen, I've almost forgotten how blurry things can get.  The last couple of months, probably to celebrate my 40th birthday, I've been seeing more as this scripture describes.  Our eyes really are amazing things!  It's remarkable that there are glasses and contacts and eye drops and surgeries that can help so well, but there's not always a solution and sometimes we either have to trust and/or get used to the new normal.  What I love about this verse most is the reminder that ultimately our Heavenly Father is the one that can truly see things as they are and it's important to try to know Him. ;)  He can help us see clearly.  I wonder if sometimes blurred physical vision might actually be a blessing that helps us to remember to trust in and rely on Him and His goodness and miracles and purposes and really look for Him!!  Maybe we can see Him better if we aren't distracted by things of this world, as beautiful as they might be. 

As frustrating as it is to "see through a glass darkly," I think He's asking us to truly seek Him, see Him, know Him. This year, one of the things that has brought me the most joy has been studying the New Testament. My heart has changed and grown nearly three sizes, I think.  I've always loved the scriptures.  I have great memories of reading and learning with family and friends growing up.  This year I found added light and love and purpose.  I've learned to love our Savior, Jesus Christ, even more.  I feel like I know Him a little bit better.  He is kind, loving, merciful, and just.  He is real and He is present.  He is the Good Shepherd, the Light and Life and Hope of the world, the Prince of Peace, our Advocate, Savior, Deliverer, and Redeemer.

Some of my favorite stories about Him this year include His interactions with the children, the blind man on His path (and Elder Holland's timely reference to this same man in general conference in October made me cry), the widow who gave her two mites, the rich young ruler, the woman at the well, Mary and Martha, Peter, Paul, and each of the disciples.  But I think I loved most of all how He constantly teaches us about our Heavenly Father and His great love and plan and purpose and will (see John 5:17, 30).

A few other verses and phrases I've loved include the following:
  • What seek ye? (John 1:38; Matthew 6:19-21, 33; 1 Nephi 10:17-19)
  • Ask, God gives good gifts (Matthew 6:8; Luke 11:9-13)
  • Go to a solitary place (Mark 1:35)
  • Know Him (Matthew 7:22-23; Mosiah 26:22-30)
  • Who hath ears to hear, let Him hear... walk by faith not sight... see as He sees (Mark 10:21)
  • He is risen! Rejoice!  Come and see, go and tell (Matthew 28:5-10, Philippians 4:4)
  • Be ready to give an answer for the hope that is in you (1 Peter 3:15)
  • What is eternal life? How do we obtain it? What lack I yet? (D&C 14:7; John 17:3; Luke 18:18)
  • Be as children (Mark 10:13-16)
  • Love the Lord, give all (Luke 21:1-4)
  • What would you have me do? (Acts 9:6–8)
  • A minister and a witness (Acts 22:15a and 26:16b)
  • Be of good cheer, believe God! (Acts 27:25)
  • If God be for us, who can be against us? Nothing separates us from love of God (Romans 8:31, 35-37)
  • Put the law in your hearts (Hebrews 10:16)
  • Cast not away your confidence, receive promises; see them far off (Hebrews 10:35-36; 11:13)
  • Run with patience the race set before us, look to Jesus (Hebrews 12:1-2)
  • Overcome by blood of the Lamb and word of testimonies (JST Revelations 12:11)
  • Do the Lord's will, fulfill mission (Rev. 10:9-10)
  • He stands at the door and knocks (Revelations 3:20)
  • Blessing, honour, glory, power to the Lamb for ever and ever! (Revelations 5:12-13)

A few other words and ideas I feel like I heard over and over... unity, peace, humility, revelation, courage, loyalty, abundance, gentle, dear to us, holy, walk with God, love, continue, abide.... and the reminder to see and hear and know... Matthew 11:7-11, 15 is beautiful. "And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind? But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings’ houses. But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet. For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee. Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he... He that hath ears to hear, let him hear."  Later in Matthew 13:13-16 where the Savior is teaching the Parable of the Sower, He says more about why He speaks in parables and how we need to open our eyes and ears and hearts in order to be converted and healed by Him.

I want to see, I want to hear, I want to understand, I want to know.  My prayers lately have been, "Dear Father, please help me to be able to see what I need to see."  He answers those prayers. :)

There's a Christmas song that seems to go along with this message...
“Do you see what I see… Do you hear what I hear…”

I don't see and know a lot, but what I do see and hear and understand brings me great joy and makes me want to shout... "Hark, now hear the angels sing!  A new King's born today, and we will live forever more because of Christmas day."

“We talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins” (2 Nephi 25:26).

“Break forth into joy, sing together…for the Lord hath comforted his people, he hath redeemed Jerusalem. The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God” (Mosiah 15:30-31).

“Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel” (Alma 26:16).

"Jesus, our only joy be thou, As thou our prize wilt be;
Jesus, be thou our glory now, And thru eternity."

"Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light."

Although we can't see everything now, we can have faith and rejoice in Jesus who will help us to see, and bring us goodness and light in the meantime. ;)

No comments: