Sunday, November 15, 2020

"Bid thine heart all strife to cease"

I've been a little MIA here this year... not because I don't have time or desire or things to record and share.  Hopefully sometime I'll catch up with all (or some) of the interesting, stretching, stressful, exciting, exhausting, and unique blessings and challenges of #2020.

But today I feel like I need to record and share a sweet blessing of guidance and peace.  I've tried to be very careful and cautious with my interactions during the COVID-19 pandemic.  I usually enjoy my quiet time at home, but there's probably been more than even I can handle this year. ;)  I've been grateful, but a little nervous (especially with particularly high case numbers lately) to return to Church meetings in person.  I feel like I'm constantly reevaluating risk factors and trust levels and even faith as I leave my house.

I enjoyed Sunday School online this morning discussing the brother of Jared's faith and example of commending himself unto the Lord. I was planning to watch our worship service online as well, even though I was actually on the invitation list for the first time in about a month to attend in person.  As the time for church grew closer I was more and more uncomfortable with that decision and jumped in my car a few minutes before the meeting was scheduled to begin.  There were a few things that helped me realize I did need to be there, the most important being the chance to partake of the sacrament (for the first time in a month).

I am very grateful for this opportunity to take His name upon me, always remember Him, and keep His commandments, with the promise that His Spirit can be with me.  These promises and blessings are something I've learned to appreciate in a new way this year.  In preparation to partake of the sacrament today we sang “Reverently and Meekly Now,” a beautiful hymn written as if the Savior was speaking to us directly and individually.  The third verse really touched me today:
Bid thine heart all strife to cease; With thy brethren be at peace.
Oh, forgive as thou wouldst be E’en forgiven now by me.
In the solemn faith of prayer Cast upon me all thy care,
And my Spirit’s grace shall be Like a fountain unto thee.
He is the One that can make strife cease.  We can cast on Him all our care.  His Spirit is a fountain of grace.  I'm very grateful for that reminder and the Lord's love and goodness that is for each of us willing to come to Him.

No comments: