Sunday, December 13, 2020

The Right Way is to Believe in Christ

I'm grateful for the opportunity to share my testimony today of our Savior Jesus Christ, His mission, His ministry, and His gospel… and the hope that it brings each one of us. 

Twenty years ago, this very day, was my first full day in the mission field.  I was on the other side of the world and excited to learn and to share.  I was humbled, and overwhelmed, and felt inadequate, but I was full of faith in Him and grateful for the message of joy and hope we were sharing.  Of the places I've visited and people I've met in my life since then, Korea and Koreans still hold a special place in my heart. ;)

One thing I heard a number of times as a missionary, and something I'm sure many of you have heard in other places and situations in your life (and maybe increasingly so today), is the idea that... all roads lead to the top of the mountain... it doesn't really matter which one you take or what you believe.  As someone who enjoys hiking, I don't mind a new trail every now and then, but today I'd like to share with you my firm testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ who truly is "THE way, the truth, and the life."[i]

As I was turning the page in the Come, Follow Me manual last week (after having studied Moroni 1-6), I noticed that the title of the lesson for those chapters was… "to keep them in the right way."  I hadn't focused on that phrase in my study, but it caught my attention because I had just read 2 Nephi 25:28-29, which says:  "... the right way is to believe in Christ and deny him not; for by denying him ye also deny the prophets and the law.  And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul."[ii]

This was also an important part of Moroni's message: "I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ... None were received unto baptism save they took upon them the name of Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end.... their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way..."[iii]

There are many things we think about and strive to do, even as disciples of Christ, but these verses helped remind me of the simple, plain, straight, and narrow way.  As we believe in Christ and deny Him not, we are "in the right way."  He will be the author and finisher of our faith.  As we press forward, steadfastly focused on Him, we can have eternal life.  I'm grateful to know that path, that trail, the right way... even Jesus Christ. 

So, what does it mean to believe in Jesus Christ and to deny Him not?  What does it mean to take His name upon us and serve him with determination to the end?  I think for each one of us there may be a slightly different answer in any given moment... something the Spirit teaches us to focus on... but, in general, I think believing in Christ includes…  

·         learning of Him (who He is, what He does, why He does it), 

·         striving to hear His words and the voice of the prophets,

·         seeking and following the Spirit’s direction,

·         keeping His commandments,

·         remembering Him always,

·         making and keeping covenants,

·         having a broken heart and a contrite spirit,

·         humbly striving to know and do His will,

·         looking for His hand, His handiwork, and His miracles all around us,

·         acknowledging His blessings, His grace, His mercy, His justice,

·         desiring to follow Him,

·         repenting,

·         coming to Him with our concerns,

·         trusting Him and relying on Him,

·         courageously standing as a witness of Him and His goodness,

·         not losing hope in His promises to us,

·         avoiding distractions and keeping Him the focus and most important priority in our lives,

·         rejoicing in Him,

·         sharing our hope in Him with others,

·         looking for ways to love and minister,

·         going about doing good,

·         working diligently,

·         remembering the great things He has done for us and those that have gone before,

·         praying always,

·         giving thanks in all things,

·         inviting others to come to Him,

·         and remaining steadfast in faith in Him.

President Nelson gave a talk at BYU in August 1998 titled "Gratitude for the Mission and Ministry of Jesus Christ.”  In this talk he identifies our Savior’s two objectives as (1) His mission and (2) His ministry.  President Nelson teaches that Jesus’ mission was His Atonement.  He refers to 3 Nephi 27:13-14 as the Lord’s mission statement, when Jesus said: “I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me. And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me.”

I love that clarity!  Jesus' mission was the Atonement; it was why He came to earth.  Isaiah reminds us that “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.”[iv]  Without Jesus fulfilling His mission there would be no hope for us.  But He did and there is hope!  He is hope! 

Prophets had this hope before Jesus was born.  I love King Benjamin’s testimony of the Savior’s mission.  In Mosiah 3, he shares with his people what an angel taught him.  The angel said: “I am come to declare unto you the glad tidings of great joy… For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent who reigneth, who was, and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and curing all manner of diseases… And lo, he shall suffer temptations, and pain of body, hunger, thirst, and fatigue, even more than man can suffer, except it be unto death; for behold, blood cometh from every pore, so great shall be his anguish for the wickedness and the abominations of his people. And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things from the beginning… And lo, he cometh unto his own, that salvation might come unto the children of men even through faith on his name; … And moreover, I say unto you, that there shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent.”[v]

The angel’s teachings not only testify of the Savior’s Atonement, but also Jesus’ second objective that President Nelson identifies as His ministry.  Beyond His mission of the Atonement, Jesus also offered an example of the importance of love, ordinances, prayer, knowledge, and enduring to the end.  After discussing each of these, President Nelson says this:  "Surely the best evidence of our adoration of Jesus is our emulation of him."[vi]  I love that!  Jesus Christ is the only way.  He also showed us the way.  The best way we can show our love for Him is by trying to follow Him and be like Him. 

I appreciated the #LighttheWorld invitation earlier this month to identify Christlike examples around us.  That invitation helped me pause to think about some of the attributes and characteristics of the Savior and then recognize where I see them in others.  It also made me think about what it means to take upon us the name of Jesus Christ. 

Jesus Christ heals, He is an advocate and mediator, He offers peace, He finds stillness, He creates beauty, He is obedient, He is humble, He is kind, He is steadfast and immovable, He is meek, He is merciful, He is just, He feeds the hungry, He visits the sick, He sits with one person, He listens, He teaches, He sees people and their needs, He helps others see, He gives His time, He has compassion, He blesses, He prays, He seeks to know and do His Father’s will, He calms, He forgives, He waits patiently, He cheers, He frees us, He fulfills, He calls, He softens hearts, He cares, He mourns with friends, He comforts, He strengthens, He eases burdens, He gathers people, He remembers, He loves, He touches, He walks with us, He comes, He invites us to come, He brings light, He leads, He delivers, and He lifts us up! 

These are also characteristics I observe in family members, friends, and others…  

·       I will never forget a sweet experience I had when visiting my brother’s family in New York City a few years ago.  We were on the subway and someone on our car was asking for money.  Most were ignoring this man’s pleas.  My sweet 4-year-old nephew happened to have a dime or a nickel in his hand and kept watching this man with real concern.  He didn’t say anything but turned to look at his mom a couple of times and after a few seconds of thinking about what to do, he walked across the car and handed this coin to this man.  Suddenly everyone seemed to be paying attention.  The spirit in that entire section of the car was lifted.  This man and everyone nearby couldn’t help but smile.  Obviously, this dime or nickel wasn’t going to save him, but someone seeing him seemed to bless all of us.

·       I also think of my sister and brother-in-law who show up when they know I need help—whether that’s spending a couple of hours putting together a treadmill or bringing their children by to brighten my day from the car windows. 

·       I think of my parents who share light with everyone on their path—whether that’s listening to me, being positive and kind to everyone they meet, or sharing with others.

·       I think of my aunt who had brain surgery earlier this year.  Things haven’t gone as smoothly as she’d hoped, but she continues forward rejoicing in the Lord and His goodness.

·       I think of friends who pray for each other and send uplifting and encouraging text messages.

·       I think of health care and other essential workers this year who have offered kindness and hope in difficult times.

I'm grateful for good examples.  I'm grateful for His example and goodness.  I hope we can each see people around us being like Jesus and maybe even share with them those Christlike attributes we observe.  Then, with His help, we can work to incorporate these attributes and characteristics in our lives, too.  Like Moroni invited us this week, we can “pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that [we] may be filled with [His] love.”[vii]

In October 2017, Elder Christofferson taught, “As we partake of the sacramental bread and water… we would do well to consider how fully and completely we must incorporate His character and the pattern of His sinless life into our life and being… We cannot be content to remain as we are but must be moving constantly toward ‘the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ.’”[viii]  And President Howard W. Hunter once taught, “The real Christmas comes to him who has taken Christ into his life as a moving, dynamic, vitalizing force.”[ix]  

In the last general conference Elder Scott D. Whiting taught, “Becoming as Jesus Christ is will require changing our hearts and minds, indeed, our very character, and doing so is possible only through the saving grace of Jesus Christ… Christlike attributes are gifts from a loving Heavenly Father to bless us and those around us. Accordingly, our efforts to obtain these attributes will require heartfelt pleas for His divine assistance.”[x]

President Hunter gave some wonderful examples of becoming more like Jesus Christ, when he invited us in a 1994 Christmas message to… “Mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. Write a letter. Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gentle. Laugh a little more. Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth. Speak your love and then speak it again.”[xi]

All of these are examples of believing in Christ and denying Him not, helping us to “stay in the right way.” 

I love the Book of Mormon and the powerful witness it provides that Jesus is the Christ!  During this uniquely challenging year, I have been so grateful to be studying it more deeply.  Its teachings of Jesus Christ and His mission and His ministry have provided peace and direction and an increase of the Spirit in my life. 

I’d like to close today with the beautiful story of Christmas as told in 3 Nephi 1.  Here we find powerful examples of people who, like Moroni, would not deny the Christ.  They were watching for the sign of Jesus’ birth here on the American continent: “Behold, they did watch steadfastly for that day and that night and that day which should be as one day as if there were no night...  Now it came to pass that there was a day set apart by the unbelievers, that all those who believed in those traditions should be put to death except the sign should come to pass, which had been given by Samuel the prophet. Now… when Nephi... saw this wickedness of his people, his heart was exceedingly sorrowful. And… he went out and bowed himself down upon the earth, and cried mightily to his God in behalf of his people, yea, those who were about to be destroyed because of their faith… And it came to pass that he cried mightily unto the Lord all that day; and behold, the voice of the Lord came unto him, saying: Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfil all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets.”[xii]

In April 2017, President Nelson taught, “True disciples of Jesus Christ are willing to stand out, speak up, and be different from the people of the world.  They are undaunted, devoted, and courageous… There is nothing easy or automatic about becoming such powerful disciples.  Our focus must be riveted on the Savior and His gospel.  It is mentally rigorous to strive to look unto Him in every thought.  But, when we do, our doubts and fears flee.”[xiii]

I testify that Jesus Christ did come.  He was born in a humble place.  He came to do the Father’s will.  He came to save all of us.  He came to provide the way for us to return home to our Heavenly Father.  He came to set an example for us to follow.  We can find joy and peace as we diligently strive to follow Him, stand as witnesses of Him, and share the blessings of His gospel and our Heavenly Father’s plan with others.  He invites each one of us to come unto Him.  When we do, He promises to walk with us and show us the way.  I know He lives and loves us.  I know He is the way, the truth, and the life and that every good thing comes from Him, and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.



[i] John 14:6.

[ii] 2 Nephi 25:28-29.

[iii] Moroni 1:4, 6:3-4.

[iv] Isaiah 53:6.

[v] Mosiah 3:2-17.

[vi] Russell M. Nelson, “Gratitude for the Mission and Ministry of Jesus Christ,” BYU Devotional, Aug. 18, 1998.

[vii] Moroni 7:48.

[viii] D. Todd Christofferson, “The Living Bread Which Came Down from Heaven,” General Conference, Oct. 2017.

[ix] Howard W. Hunter, “The Real Christmas,” BYU Devotional, Dec. 5, 1972.

[x] Scott D. Whiting, “Becoming like Him,” General Conference, Oct. 2020.

[xi] Howard W. Hunter, “The Gifts of Christmas,” First Presidency Christmas Devotional, Dec. 4, 1994.

[xii] 3 Nephi 1:8-13.

[xiii]  Russell M. Nelson, “Drawing the Power of Jesus Christ into Our Lives,” General Conference, Apr. 2017.

No comments: