Monday, January 2, 2023

Goals for 2023

This year, I need some focus and intention and a plan.  I want to become better.  I want to grow.  I want to find joy.  I want to help others find joy.  Here are some things that I hope will help:

  • Spiritual:  pray, trust in the Lord, follow the Spirit, read the Book of Mormon every day, read and study the New Testament every week, serve in the temple every week, come to know Jesus better, become more like Him, find and share His light regularly
  • Social:  see the good in others, compliment people, express gratitude regularly, listen to and get to know others, love and serve, learn and remember something new about someone each week, be there for family and friends, be more involved in missionary and family history work, learn how to be a good leader
  • Physical (I THINK THIS NEEDS TO BE MY PRIORITY!):  sleep (go to bed by 10:00 pm), exercise (get up by 6:00 am and exercise at least four days a week), eat well (make and eat healthy foods), drink more water, hike once a week
  • Intellectual:  practice Spanish every day, enjoy music, share pretty pictures regularly, travel somewhere new, read and learn, write something meaningful

As I've been thinking about these goals at the start of this year, a couple of initial impressions have come to me about (1) the importance of intentional focus and seeking and (2) the importance of doing the Lord's will.

After traveling to church on a really SNOWY New Year's Day, I was inspired by the few (mostly older) ward members gathered together to worship.  After a 20-minute drive of a few blocks through unplowed roads, the Sunday School teacher's question seemed even more meaningful and poignant: "Why are you here?  What seek ye?"  Hearing that group of Saints (that I've come to love) talk about wanting to know Jesus better was so sweet!  It reminded me how much I love the Lord and want to serve and know Him better.  I'm grateful to start out the year with that focus and reminder.  It's worth every effort to find and feel His love and peace.  💕

I am also inspired again my Mary's example in Luke 1 when the angel comes to her:

30 Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.

31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.

32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.

38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

39 And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda;

40 And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth.

41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

42 And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.

43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

44 For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.

45 And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.

46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,

47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.

50 And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.

Mary wonders how this great miracle can be and that she is a part of it, but then she answers the angel with great faith and humility, testifying of the Savior and Son of God.  She accepts and follows the will of the Lord for her life.  We have all been blessed by her willingness to do so.  I want to follow that pattern better in my life, to humbly and faithfully do the Lord's will this year. 💕


1 comment:

Hilarie said...

This was beautiful! Thanks for sharing, very inspiring!!