I've learned for myself that Jesus Christ truly is relief, and He is always the answer. As President Nelson taught in April: "Whatever questions or problems you have, the answer is always found in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Learn more about His Atonement, His love, His mercy, His doctrine, and His restored gospel of healing and progression. Turn to Him! Follow Him!"
Here are a few highlights from 2023:
Things I Learned
- "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15)
- study the scriptures
- follow prophets
- counsel together
- gather with other good people; be involved in your community
- focus on Jesus; walk with Him
- attend and participate in conferences
- serve and worship in the temple often
- be involved in family history work
- hike or walk or spend time outside whenever you can
- visit someone
- be kind always
- be patient
- do what you can and trust that it will be enough
- get in touch with old friends
- walk on the beach, listen to the waves, relax, reflect
- remember where you're from
- move forward
- be confident and humble
- appreciate others and express gratitude
- seek inspiration and follow the Spirit
- trust in the Lord; learn and do His will
I'm grateful I got to spend a week with my whole family in July and then parts of the family a few other times throughout the year! They're each a blessing! I enjoyed more walks and hikes with friends; a monthly general conference study group; a monthly sealing group; and catching up with some old friends for mini-reunions, temple trips, dinner, and just to chat. I've enjoyed getting to know the women in my neighborhood a lot better this year. A face-to-face visit and learning someone else's story is such a blessing! People are important and I'm grateful for the people in my life.
Traveling
I was grateful to do a little bit of traveling this year. Here are some of the highlights:
- The mountains - I loved every minute in the mountains (well, all but maybe the last third of Kokohead Stairs but I made it). The highlights this year were the Bunker, Hanakapiai Beach and Falls (see Hawaii below), the Heather-Maple Loop and Blue Lake (see Washington below), Timpanogos, Albion Basin, Gloria Falls, Dog Lake, Willow Lake, Bell Canyon, and many of the Draper trails. Not the mountains, but the tulip fields of Thanksgiving Point were beautiful this spring. I signed up for the 5k run through the tulips and it was delightful and a good way to get myself exercising a little more!
- Hawaii - It was wonderful to make it to Hawaii twice this year. The whole family was together in June/July in Kailua. We played at the beach, watched the fireworks, learned to play the ukulele, and just hung out. Then I spent the week between Christmas and New Year's back in Kailua with Mom and Dad. It was relaxing and wonderful! I love starting the day with a sunrise walk on the beach! I also loved visits to the Laie Hawaii Temple each trip.
- Washington - It was fun to take a quick weekend trip to Spokane, Washington with Dad to hike the Heather-Maple Loop in the North Cascades. What a beautiful area! This is an exquisite hike (probably even more so years that it's wetter). We also hiked Blue Lake (amazing!), walked around Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and attended the Spokane Washington Temple.
- St. George - I made it to St. George three times this year. The first trip was a long weekend in the middle of April to see the flowers in Snow Canyon and bike Zion's Canyon. It was beautiful! Cari's family and I got a few days at the end of June when we missed our flight to Hawaii, but that ended up being a nice little adventure. We walked the Toe Trail and hiked Taylor Creek. My final trip was the first weekend of October when I ran the St. George Half Marathon. I hadn't trained a lot and I had to sit in the cold for a couple of hours before the race started and worried that early shin splints might stop me in my tracks, but I made it. I kept going, slowly, but it was rewarding and a great course! I enjoyed relaxing the rest of the weekend and touring the St. George Utah Temple.
Reading / Studying
This year I loved reading and studying the New Testament. I feel a greater love for my Savior Jesus Christ and His example and teachings. I'm grateful for those who knew Him when He lived on the earth and their witnesses and examples of trying to follow Him. Their words continue to bless us today. We can find Him, too. He is the Light, the promised Messiah. He was obedient and WILLING and able to fulfill the Father's plan. He LOVES us. Our Heavenly Father loves us. We can become like Them as we seek to do the Father's will. He came to heal and bless and teach. We can put Jesus first. We can trust Him and find rest as we rely on Him. He delivers us from death and sin (as we choose to turn to Him and repent). His mercy is available for all. He can help us change and be better. We should remember Him always and abide in His love. The Holy Ghost will help us find Him and the truth. We can share our testimonies of Him. We can be reconciled to God. God is love. Jesus will come again. He invites us to come to Him. <3
I also loved studying the Book of Mormon. I read it two and half times... studying about leadership, exercising faith, and charity. This book is full of answers and direction and truth and peace and light. I learned a lot about each of these topics and can see how important they are. I'm grateful for prophets who recorded their testimonies of Jesus Christ for us. I love this book! I finished it again tonight. I love the invitation on the last page to come unto Christ and to love God. I know God lives and loves us. I know that Jesus Christ is light, hope, joy, truth. He wants us to be happy and holy and with Him again. He makes those things possible.
I also loved hearing from living prophets and other Church leaders in general conference this year. Studying their messages individually and with friends and at Church has helped me learn and become better. Some of my favorite insights include... never give up an opportunity to testify of Christ, focus on Jesus Christ, just keep going--with faith, minister!!!!!, find personal peace, access God's power through covenants, "there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as [our] joy" when we turn to Jesus, have Christlike poise, be a peacemaker, be one in Christ, JESUS CHRIST IS RELIEF, let your mind catch "hold upon this thought [JESUS CHRIST]," remember what matters most, remember the imperfect harvest--He makes it perfect, abide in Him and walk with Him, THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS JESUS CHRIST, do your duty, look for Jesus, help others see and find and experience Jesus, follow the Spirit, be happy, have an eternal perspective, seek truth, and LOVE!
In addition to this study, I read 100 books. Here are some favorites:
I enjoyed opportunities to serve this year. I hosted at the Festival of Trees this year and at our community nativity sponsored by our stake. I spent most of the rest of my service time in the temple and with Church assignments that helped me learn and grow.
This year I loved reading and studying the New Testament. I feel a greater love for my Savior Jesus Christ and His example and teachings. I'm grateful for those who knew Him when He lived on the earth and their witnesses and examples of trying to follow Him. Their words continue to bless us today. We can find Him, too. He is the Light, the promised Messiah. He was obedient and WILLING and able to fulfill the Father's plan. He LOVES us. Our Heavenly Father loves us. We can become like Them as we seek to do the Father's will. He came to heal and bless and teach. We can put Jesus first. We can trust Him and find rest as we rely on Him. He delivers us from death and sin (as we choose to turn to Him and repent). His mercy is available for all. He can help us change and be better. We should remember Him always and abide in His love. The Holy Ghost will help us find Him and the truth. We can share our testimonies of Him. We can be reconciled to God. God is love. Jesus will come again. He invites us to come to Him. <3
I also loved studying the Book of Mormon. I read it two and half times... studying about leadership, exercising faith, and charity. This book is full of answers and direction and truth and peace and light. I learned a lot about each of these topics and can see how important they are. I'm grateful for prophets who recorded their testimonies of Jesus Christ for us. I love this book! I finished it again tonight. I love the invitation on the last page to come unto Christ and to love God. I know God lives and loves us. I know that Jesus Christ is light, hope, joy, truth. He wants us to be happy and holy and with Him again. He makes those things possible.
I also loved hearing from living prophets and other Church leaders in general conference this year. Studying their messages individually and with friends and at Church has helped me learn and become better. Some of my favorite insights include... never give up an opportunity to testify of Christ, focus on Jesus Christ, just keep going--with faith, minister!!!!!, find personal peace, access God's power through covenants, "there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as [our] joy" when we turn to Jesus, have Christlike poise, be a peacemaker, be one in Christ, JESUS CHRIST IS RELIEF, let your mind catch "hold upon this thought [JESUS CHRIST]," remember what matters most, remember the imperfect harvest--He makes it perfect, abide in Him and walk with Him, THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS JESUS CHRIST, do your duty, look for Jesus, help others see and find and experience Jesus, follow the Spirit, be happy, have an eternal perspective, seek truth, and LOVE!
In addition to this study, I read 100 books. Here are some favorites:
- Living a Life that Matters: Resolving the Conflict between Conscience and Success by Harold S. Kushner
- Hidden Potential by Adam Grant
- When Stars are Scattered by Victoria Jamieson
- Romney: A Reckoning by McKay Coppins
- Our Day Star Rising: Exploring the New Testament with Jeffrey R. Holland
- Seven Gospels: The Many Lives of Christ in the Book of Mormon by Adam S. Miller
- Build the Life You Want: The Art and Science of Getting Happier by Arthur C. Brooks
- More Than Enough: Inspiring Messages for Women
- Beneath the Wide Silk Sky by Emily Inouye Huey
- No Divisions Among You: Creating Unity in a Diverse Church by Richard Eyre
- Sacred Struggle: Seeking Christ on the Path of Most Resistance by Melissa Inouye
- The Girl in His Shadow by Audrey Blake
- Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright
- The Measure by Nikki Erlick
- A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus
- Long Way Home by Lynn Austin
- The Gift: 12 Lessons to Save Your Life by Edith Eger
- Whatever Happened to Faith? by Robert L. Millet
- The Light in Hidden Places by Sharon Cameron
- The Memory Keeper of Kyiv by Erin Litteken
- Becoming New: A Commentary on the Writings of Paul by Robert L. Millet
- Compassion: The Great Healer's Art by Ulisses Soares
- Fast Like a Girl by Mindy Pelz
- Becoming the Beloved Disciple: Coming Unto Christ through the Gospel of John by Eric D. Huntsman
- From Grace to Charity by Emily Freeman
- Christ in Every Hour by Anthony Sweat
- Divine Quietness: Finding Meaning When Heaven is Silent by Emily Adams
- Our Savior's Love: Hope and Healing in Christ by Stanley A. Johnson
- The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
- And There Was Light: Abraham Lincoln and the American Struggle by Jon Meacham
- Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan
- Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
- The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by Dalai Lama XIV
- Rain Reign by Ann Martin
I enjoyed opportunities to serve this year. I hosted at the Festival of Trees this year and at our community nativity sponsored by our stake. I spent most of the rest of my service time in the temple and with Church assignments that helped me learn and grow.
- Temples - I loved serving in the temple each week. In addition to the Draper and Jordan River Temples, I attended for the Saratoga Springs and the Spokane Washington Temples for the first time. I also attended the open houses for the St. George and Orem Utah Temples. It's sweet to be at the temple with others. I was also more engaged in my own family history. This was a highlight! I did (or had family help me complete) 235 ordinances for 181 different ancestors.
- Church - I've learned a lot serving in Relief Society this year. There are so many wonderful people with a variety of stories and talents and challenges. There is purpose and joy in knowing and loving and serving others. I had chances to teach and speak in Church a number of times this year. I learn so much from these opportunities.
No comments:
Post a Comment