Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy 24th of July!

Here's our annual 24th of July picture at Albion Basin.


So, lately I've been thinking a lot about those who came before (as pioneers in the country and the Church). I'm grateful for their sacrifices and courage in standing up for right and establishing freedom. I'm grateful for my ancestors and their sacrifices and how they have blessed my life and made me who I am today. I'm grateful for good examples.

I saw a neat example the other day when I was riding TRAX to work. A man was standing up not too far away and he said to another man sitting nearby, "Excuse me, sir. I couldn't help noticing your hat that shows you've received 3 purple hearts. Thank you for your sacrifice. What conflicts were you engaged in?" He said he had served in Vietnam, the Gulf War and Afghanistan. The man standing then said again, "Thank you so much for what you have done for me and my family." The man sitting down was obviously shocked. He said, "Thank you! [and then more to himself] WOW! That feels good." This really touched me and I think several people around. As the man standing got off the train a little later the man sitting waved and said, "No one ever says things like that. That makes you feel good." It made me think how important it is that we are kind to others, that we take the time to compliment others and be positive. Too often we're caught up in our own things or we see the negative instead of looking for ways to praise others. I'm also grateful for this man's sacrifice and the example of gratitude and kindness the other man shared as well. I want to do better at following both of their examples. :)

1 comment:

Janie said...

Great family picture! Thanks for sharing the story also.