Saturday, June 20, 2009

Another week in DC (and a day in Philadelphia)! :)

It was another fabulous week in DC. I am learning a lot at my internship at the GAO about working with and communicating with people, working with teams and what it means to be a good leader and manager, creating and preparing a training strategy, and hopefully figuring out a little bit more what I do and don't want to do after graduation. :)

I am also taking advantage of every opportunity to explore the city and get to know the area. Here are some of the highlights: a nice walk to and from work each day, working out at the gym and reading and relaxing after work, institute at two different wards (one was near Georgetown so I got to explore the neighborhood a little--so fun!), going to the temple, doing the usual evening run around the Mall and enjoying the sunset with the DC community (including an army band concert on the Capitol steps), and exploring the Library of Congress (BEAUTIFUL--one of my favorite things this week--I was inspired by the beauty of the building; it felt like a temple of learning!), the Supreme Court, the National Archives (to see the actual Declaration of Independence and Constitution), FBI Building, Ford Theater, the American Art and Portrait Gallery, the National Building Museum, and the Postal Museum.




I ended the week with a Saturday trip to Philadelphia with a few MPA student friends to see the "City of Brotherly Love" and enjoy the history and patriotism of another capital of the US. :) It was a great adventure! :)

Some of my favorite spots were: the Liberty Bell (I love the inscription: "Proclaim LIBERTY throughout all the Land unto all the Inhabitants thereof Lev. XXV X"), Independence Hall (where the Declaration of Independence was signed, and the Constitution was drafted at the Continental Congress), and Congress Hall (where, for the first time, power was passed smoothly to a new President when John Adams was inaugurated). I am so grateful for the freedoms I enjoy as a citizen of this nation. I am grateful for those early leaders who sacrificed much to stand up and create a country where we could enjoy peace and liberty.


Here's a clip from the army band's performance on the Capitol steps on Friday night....such a fun sense of community! :)


No comments: