Thursday, July 4, 2013

Freedom

I think I always appreciate the 4th of July and all that it means a little bit more when I happen to not be in the US.  This year the 4th of July began in the early morning hours, watching the lights of Egypt out the window of an airplane - during what I heard later was a military coup.  I was on my way to visit a place that represents freedom to many people, but that freedom has not been without heartache and is still uncertain.


Considering where I was going and what day it was made me even more grateful for America and freedom, but it also made me think about an empty garden tomb and where freedom really comes from - Jesus Christ and His triumph over death and sin.


"And under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives (Mosiah 5:8)."

"...the Spirit of God, which is also the spirit of freedom (Alma 61:15)."

"Wherefore, hear my voice and follow me, and you shall be a free people (D&C 38:22)."

"If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed (John 8:36)."

"...believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name (John 20:31)."

Today I am grateful for freedom and Him who makes us free.

No comments: