I don't know if it's the time of year and not being in school or what, but apparently August/September is the time when I start searching for motivation in my life. What am I doing with my time and my life? What are my goals? I realize that no one else can motivate us to do anything. Motivation and desire come from within. They can be strengthened by the encouragement of others, but ultimately no one can make us do anything. It's easy to be lazy, but I've found in my life that happiness comes when I'm busy doing something good. As I've been searching for motivation lately, here are a few pieces of inspiration I found:
Recently we studied the words of President Lorenzo Snow, Faithful, Energetic Service in the Kingdom of God, that have been a good reminder and inspiration to me. He said, "Knowing our religion to be true we ought to be the most devoted people on the face of the earth to the cause we have embraced." We have the truth! All we should want to do is share it! There's some motivation. :)
Another wonderful reminder is this April 2010 message by President Henry B. Eyring, Act in All Diligence. I'm inspired by many sweet videos and examples shared on the new website, Hastening the Work of Salvation, including this one, My Work and My Glory.
A couple more wonderful talks/thoughts that have reminded me recently of the importance of diligence and discipleship include a talk by Elder L. Tom Perry given in October 2000 entitled Discipleship. He reminds of us the importance of cleaning well the baseboard and if we're going to leave anything undone have it be in the center of the room. :) Another motivating and inspiring Lorenzo Snow lesson coming up is Church Leadership and Selfless Service. Brother Russell T. Osguthorpe just taught in a CES fireside about the importance of being disciples, having pure motives and giving our will to God.
In his talk during the Priesthood session of General Conference in April 2013, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, "When God works through us, no one and nothing can stand against us....You have your own special contribution to make, and God can magnify that contribution in a mighty way. Your ability to contribute is not dependent upon your calling in the Church. Your opportunities for service are endless. If you are waiting on the sidelines, I encourage you to get in the game. Don't wait for a particular calling before you become fully engaged in building the kingdom of God....you are already called to the work....Rise up to your true potential...and you will be a force for good."
And from a recent Bible Video, the Savior teaches to Seek Ye the Kingdom of God.
So, here are some goals that will help me stay motivated and get to January! :)
- Finish the Doctrine & Covenants
- Read the Four Gospels over the holidays
- Sign up for a marathon by the end of the year
- Find a service opportunity before the end of the year
- Finish my indexing goal (2000) before Thanksgiving
- Buy a house by March
- Follow the Spirit in blessing and helping someone each day
No comments:
Post a Comment