Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Month of Testimony


I LOVE Christmas time, the decorations, the music, the stories, the movies, the lights, the trees, the traditions, the goodies, the time to gather with family and friends.  It's about joy, faith, peace, hope, giving, sacrifice, kindness, goodness, believing, freedom, and love.  It's about Christ!  All of these blessings and every other good gift and blessing come into our lives because of Him.

I testify of Jesus Christ, our Savior, the Son of God.  He lives!  Because of His life and love and Atonement and sacrifice and example and resurrection, our lives have purpose and meaning and direction.  Each day this Christmas season I want "to give an answer...[and] a reason of the hope that is in [me] (see 1 Peter 3:15)."  (Check back for daily updates....and feel free to share your own reasons for hope in the comments.)  Merry Christmas!  :)
  1. I testify of the true love felt in family relationships.  I testify of the eternal and important role families play in our Heavenly Father's plan.
  2. I testify of the love our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ demonstrated in creating our beautiful world - the mountains, the hills, the red rock, the desert, the seasons, the weather, the rivers, the sun, the trees, and the open country.
  3. I testify of the cleansing power of the Atonement - in our lives and in the world.  Waking up to a world covered in white snow makes me think of the importance of being clean and white.  It reminds me to slow down and think about what's important and the purpose of our creation.  I'm grateful that our lives can be made clean and white through Him.
  4. I testify of the peace of the blessings of the temple and that we truly are children of God.  He loves us.  He knows us....each one.  He is "no respecter of persons" but loves each of His children.
  5. I testify of the blessings of a testimony of Jesus Christ and the joy felt in sharing our knowledge with others and learning from others as they teach by the Spirit.  We each have different talents and understanding, but we can bless others as we share and learn as we humble ourselves and seek knowledge.
  6. I testify of the importance of giving of self, sharing talents and being real and genuine.  Christ gave all.  We each have something we can give.  As we humble ourselves and share who we really are we will be happy.
  7. I know that there are great blessings of peace and joy and direction that come when we take time to be still and ponder and read and learn and study the words and teachings of the Lord.
  8. I know that sacrifice is key to our Heavenly Father's plan.  President Hinckley said, "Christmas means giving.  The Father gave the Son, and the Son gave His life.  Without giving there is not true Christmas, and without sacrifice there is not true worship."
  9. I testify of the importance of work and the joy it brings in our life when we labor to learn and grow and support ourselves and make a difference for good in the world.
  10. I know God loves us.  One way we see and experience that love is through other people who are good and kind and love and serve and care and reach out in personal ways to share love with others.  I'm grateful for those examples in my life today!
  11. I testify of the importance of service and visiting and ministering and knowing those around us so that we can help them.  For the last several years my service opportunities at church have revolved around organizing individuals to reach out and serve and minister one-on-one to those around them.  I know this is important and the Lord's way - to know our neighbors and love and support them.
  12. I testify of the truthfulness of the Bible.  I know it is the word of God and teaches of Jesus Christ, our Savior.  I am grateful that we have these words to study and learn from the life of our Savior.
  13. I testify of the importance of good music and how it can help us come to know Him better.  I am grateful for those that are blessed with talents to write and perform inspirational music, especially at this time of year, as it points all of us to the Savior.
  14. I testify of the importance of giving.  God loves us and gave us everything that we have - our lives and His son.  As we strive to become like Him we must learn to give in meaningful ways.
  15. I know that missionary work is the work of God.  He wants all of His children to have the opportunity to learn and know of His love and plan for them here and now and as soon as possible, so He sends missionaries all over the world to serve and teach and share.  These missionaries are blessed in the process and draw closer to the Lord as they give and learn and teach.  It's a beautiful plan and program.
  16. I know that we aren't strangers.  It's wonderful to be a part of a community and to be connected and rejoice and celebrate the goodness of God together!
  17. I know that angels are real!  They have come to proclaim important events.  They continue to teach and sing and rejoice.  They are among us.
  18. I know that everything -- especially the creations of the earth (the snow, the trees, the lights in the heavens) -- testify that God lives!
  19. I know that we will be happy as we keep God's commandments and live faithfully to the covenants we have made with Him.  I'm grateful for commandments and covenants that bind us to Him.
  20. I know that Jesus truly is the light and life of the world.
  21. I know that the Book of Mormon is a true testament and record of Jesus Christ's teachings and that studying and living these teachings will bring us happiness and closer to God.
  22. I testify of the importance of letting the Savior into our lives.  There can be many distractions and other priorities, but when we remember Him and put Him first we will be blessed and happy and have opportunities to help others as well.
  23. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God - chosen to restore the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth.  I know that he saw our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ - a revelation that changed the world forever.
  24. I know that Jesus lives.  He was born under miraculous and humble circumstances.  He lived a perfect life and His infinite Atonement saved the world and each one of us.
  25. I testify of the importance of family traditions and relationships and being together.
  26. I know that God love us no matter what - even when we're sick and seemingly useless.  :)
  27. I testify that God is love.
  28. I know that it's good to have time to be still and quiet and rest.  It's sometimes in the quiet moments that we can feel God's love and inspiration.
  29. I know that it is important to study and seek and ask and learn.  We can come to know God.
  30. I testify that God hears our prayers.  He is our Father.  He loves us.  He is a part of our lives, especially when we invite Him in.
  31. I know that God will speak to us as we are open to listen.  He speaks to us when we are humble, when we are quiet and listening.  He speaks to us when we put ourselves in places where we can be inspired.  He speaks to us through music.  He speaks to us through scriptures.  He speaks to us through prophets and leaders.  He speaks to us through the Holy Ghost.  I know He loves us - He speaks to us!

No comments: