Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Giving Gifts

I'm not a good gift-giver.  Gifts aren't my love language, so sometimes I have a hard time finding the right gift for others and I probably don't adequately acknowledge and thank those who are good gift-givers.  I love the idea of giving, but I'm better at giving time and energy myself.  I've wondered why gifts are such a focus of Christmas, but I like to remember that we are honoring the Savior and I am inspired by others who are good gift-givers....and a few articles I've read lately about how to give good gifts:
One of my favorite quotes on this topic is from President Thomas S. Monson's talk at the December 1998 First Presidency Christmas Devotional.  He teaches, "What will you and I give for Christmas this year?  Let us in our lives give to our Lord and Savior the gift of gratitude by living His teachings and following in His footsteps.  It was said of Him that He 'went about doing good.'  As we do likewise, the Christmas spirit will be ours."  

There was a Christmas exhibit at the Church History Museum this year celebrating the Boy Scouts and doing a good turn daily.  I was inspired by that thought and gift and focus.  I want to be a better gift giver.  I am grateful for the gift that Heavenly Father gave of His Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ....and hope I to remember to honor Them every day by doing good.

No comments: