Saturday, December 14, 2013

Journey to Bethlehem

I LOVED visiting Israel this summer!  Ever since then the scriptures have come to life even more for me.  It's amazing to be able to picture in my mind "going up to Jerusalem" and the diverse religious groups and customs.  It was a wonderful trip!  I learned so much.  I have a greater love and appreciation for this area and its history and people, particularly for the life of the Savior and those that knew Him when He lived on the earth.  There is more I wished I could have seen and done, but it was an amazing tour for the few short days we were there.

One place that we didn't get to and that I would like to visit sometime is Bethlehem.  I have been reminded of this (the Little Town of Bethlehem) often in the past few weeks - everyone is talking about going to Bethlehem!  :)  A few have mentioned that it isn't an easy journey - it wasn't for Mary and Joseph and it isn't today (across a heavily guarded border of the West Bank), but thinking about that journey has been even more meaningful to me this year.  I really loved two essays that I read recently (from different perspectives, but equally inspiring) about bustling Bethlehem:


I loved this sweet depiction of the sacred events:  Good Tidings of Great Joy: The Birth of Jesus Christ

I was particularly touched and inspired by President Monson's comment at this year's Christmas Devotional: "May we all make the journey to Bethlehem in spirit, taking with us a tender, caring heart as our gift to the Savior."  More important than fancy gifts and a physical journey to Bethlehem is a spiritual journey to be with Christ and to bring an open and loving heart.  This is such a sweet and wonderful reminder of what it's all about!

No comments: