Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Did you do what you were supposed to?

I've been reminded a bit lately that meaningful questions are key.  We won't learn what we need to if we don't ask.  "Therefore, ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you; for he that asketh, receiveth; and unto him that knocketh, it shall be opened" (3 Nephi 27:29).

We must ask!!  And going even further...good questions can teach and inspire.  I thought of this post and insight from last October this morning when someone asked me, "How was your weekend?  Did you do what you were supposed to?"  I like this question, but first, my response: "Good.  Yes, I tried."  Immediately I thought of Yoda, "Do or do not.  There is no try."  :)  I better try harder.  :)

Now, back to the question.  Did you do what you were supposed to?  I love that and I've been thinking about it all day.  First of all, did I do what's right?  Did I not get into trouble or make a bad decision?  Second, what was I supposed to do this weekend or today or whenever?  Was I just going along with whatever happened or did I have a plan and live it?  :)  Maybe most importantly, did I ask the Lord what He needed me to do and did I do it?  :)

I'm grateful for the question and the reminder to ask questions and to live purposefully and proactively - asking for the Lord's guidance and doing what I was "supposed to do," what He wants me do with my time, talents, resources, life.

Here are a few good talks and articles for further study:
* Ask, Seek, Knock by Elder Russell M. Nelson (October 2009)
* Personal Revelation by Elder Robert D. Hales (October 2007)
* What is Your Mission? by Elder John H. Groberg (May 1979)
* What a Patriarchal Blessing Can Do for You
* Ten Ways to Know You Are Converted

No comments: