Monday, June 15, 2015

"Thank you for bringing me here."

Lately I've had a few days of rotten eggs, sour milk, and mud (literally), but I know that happiness is a choice and there is probably nothing that makes me more sad than knowing I shouldn't be sad or mad.  Haha!

As I was trying to pull myself out of my particularly funky Friday I had the opportunity to be in the temple and help a few couples just before and after their sealings.  I learn a lot observing and was inspired by a particularly sweet couple who were obviously so in love, but also so kind and thoughtful.  As I took this particular bride to meet her husband before they were to emerge to take pictures with their family this cute groom was so happy to see her and told her she looked gorgeous.  It was so sweet.  This cute bride was obviously just as happy to see him.  In the midst of this sweet moment and as I was walking away and wishing them well the bride turned to me still hugging him and with tears in her eyes and said, "Thank you for bringing me here."  I had only walked her down the hall and around the corner (took me two minutes), but her comment made me think about a few things....

First, what a wonderful thing it is to hear someone thank you for something (however small).  Genuine gratitude and expressing it is so important and changes lives and days!  :)

Second, be you.  I think it is so fun to see who people end up with and am grateful for the different personalities in life.  I think there is something so important about being genuine and real and open and saying what you think - especially if it's something good and nice that will make someone else happy.

Third, life is a journey.  It takes a while to get where we're going and we have no idea what challenges and trials and opportunities might be along the way.  We don't know how to get there or even where we're going sometimes, but if we can be grateful for the journey and wherever the Lord takes us we will be a lot happier.  :)

I loved this article in the June 2015 Ensign - The Path to Palmyra by Matthew Holland.  He talks about all the trials that led the Smith Family to Palmyra, New York in the early 1800's.  Those trials are what prepared Joseph Smith and brought him to the exact place he needed to be.  I think often we don't see or understand how the Lord is leading us sometimes until much later.

I am grateful for the experiences and opportunities and trials along my path and the opportunities to learn and grow.  I like a quote by a man named Jenkins Lloyd Jones who President Gordon B. Hinckley quoted in a talk in 1997:

“[The fact is] most putts don’t drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. …

“Life is like an old-time rail journey—delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed.

“The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.” 

I love this!  ....and am grateful for the journey.  :)

No comments: