* getting to see a wonderful friend I hadn't seen in years!
* exploring new (and old) beautiful, amazing running spots
* the temple! :)
* Washington National Cathedral--BEAUTIFUL, amazing, very inspiring, uplifting
* being inspired by those who have sacrificed much
I had a neat experience running in the rain this week. I thought I would beat the rain home on my jog Tuesday night, but found myself stuck--3 miles from home--near the Lincoln Memorial, when it started to pour. I stood under a big tree to take shelter for a few minutes to see if it would pass. As I was standing there in the rain I had a perfect view of the Korean War Memorial and the Vietnam War Memorial. I was really impressed with the Korean War Memorial when I first saw it, but huddling in the rain and seeing these statues of soldiers across the way also in the rain made them almost come alive for me. I was overwhelmed by the sacrifice many make out in the rain, and cold, and worse elements of nature (and man) so that I have the opportunity and freedom to go for a run outside in a free country where they even hand out free bottles of water at the Capitol for the 4th of July Concert (many in the world haven't even seen that much clean water in a month!). I feel very blessed and grateful for those who have sacrificed for me so that my life is so comfortable.
I was also inspired this week by Greg Mortensen ("Three Cups of Tea") who has sacrificed much of his life to help bring peace to the world by bringing education to children in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
These examples and pondering on the lives of our nation's forefathers and their sacrifices and courage has filled my heart with gratitude this week and inspired me to want to do more to look for ways to make a difference, help others and make their way a little bit better, and be courageous and stand up for right.
3 comments:
Yay!!! I loved seeing you and it was so fun to visit (even for a quick lunch break). You are amazing and I'm grateful to have you as a friend (I think you're technically my oldest friend in the world...wow).
p.s. How was your fourth?
I think I said this before, but I'm definitely jealous of your running trails!
Post a Comment