Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Community Building

WE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD! That's why I came to the MPA program. I want to change the world and make it a better place. We can each make a difference and be change agents. In fact, we've got to do more. :) I was inspired today in my nonprofit marketing class by our professor's passion for the nonprofit sector. He is the CEO of United Way of Utah County and works with nonprofit leaders all over the country. Today he told us not to lose our drive to change the world and make things better. He told us that they need more help and we all need to do more.

It all sounds really good as we're in school and dreaming about what we'll do in the future, but I thought about how easy it could be to forget some of my dreams of doing more and changing the world once I settle into a job and new life routine. We've got to do more! :) We must always have passion, determination, hope. We can't lose the drive to make things better. We have to be restless. We can't be content with the problems we see around us. We must learn all that we can, be good at what you do, and earn others' respect so we can make a powerful difference.

We must each ask ourselves:
  • What are my passions?
  • What do I want to change?
  • How am I going to make a difference in the world?
We each have more potential to influence and make a difference than we think!! :)

We can't be content with the problems we see around us. They aren't distant stories. They are real and unless someone steps up and does something to reach out to someone who is struggling or looks for a way to help nothing will change. I saw the greatest movie tonight: The Blindside. I was so inspired by Leanne Tuohy's desire to do something when she saw someone walking down the street that needed help. She was so giving and selfless in her outreach. I want to be more aware of those around me and not be afraid to step up and do something to help someone and empower others to change their lives for the better.

When Alexis de Toucqueville toured America in the 1800s he saw an America where people watched out for each other. That may not happen as much as it should today. We don't sit out on our porches and talk to the neighbors or play baseball in the streets as much as we used to or should. :) Our communities are important. We can see a community in two different ways--as a system (that has order, services, clients, and needs) or as a community (based on consent, care, citizens, and talents). The system focuses on needs, creating needs, and sometimes giving people things they don't need. The community focuses on what everyone can do and what talents each person can share. There are two secrets to community building (according to Bill Hulterstrom and John McKnight). We need to remember that:
  1. Everyone is gifted. Everyone has a gift!
  2. A caring community is where as many people as possible can share their gifts and talents.
This reminds me a lot of what I learned in Stake Conference last month. :) In other words, systems are important, but we don't want the systems we put in place to overcome the natural caring aspects of a community (which are about our relationships and our intentions). We need to give and serve correctly. Different people need different things and we definitely don't want to do something for someone that they can do for themselves. We need to serve "with all our heart, might, mind, and strength" (D&C 4) meaning that we really think about what would be best. As we really love our neighbors and know them and their needs and their talents we will create a happier and more productive community. A true community will be like Zion where we are all of "one heart and one mind" (Moses 7:18).

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

LOVE THIS HEATHER!!! <3

I also love Jesse's thought on your kitchen wall: "She packed up her potential and all she had learned, grabbed a cute pair of shoes and headed out to change a few things!"
Go get 'em Heath! :)

Jaclyn said...

Such a great attitude Heather-- someday I will be more like you.