Sunday, September 5, 2010

Jonah

I love the scriptures! I know they are the word of God and they teach us how to be closer to Him. I learned a really important lesson in Sunday School today from Jonah....the short little book in the Old Testament with a story that no child can quickly forget. :) I found greater meaning in it today and saw five very important applications in my life:
  1. Follow the Lord.
  2. REPENT as soon as you can.
  3. Be humble and trust in the Lord.
  4. Love everyone!
  5. It never does well to be angry.
The main lesson I think I always took from this story was the importance of following the Lord and going and doing what He asks. The Lord knows best where we need to be. We need to turn to Him and follow when He tells us. :) Even if it seems like, as in Jonah's case, He is asking us to go to the most blood-thirsty group on earth who won't be happy to see us.....we should go (Samuel the Lamanite was a good example of this principle--see Helaman 13 - 15). The Lord can protect and direct and make miracles happen as we are obedient. We should not be afraid and turn the exact opposite way, but trust in the Lord and move forward according to His command.

The principle that really stood out to me today was the importance of repenting quickly. When we do something wrong we can and must repent, but it is up to us to decide when and how sincerely we will do that. :) It was pointed out in our class today that Jonah didn't have to say, "Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is upon you (Jonah 1:12)." He could have repented right then and there on the boat and asked the Lord to calm the sea and save them. He acknowledged that he believed in the "God of heaven, which hath made the sea, and the dry land (Jonah 1:9)." He knew that the Lord could have done that, but maybe he just wasn't ready to repent. :) It wasn't until he was in the fish's belly that he cried unto the Lord. Much like Alma (as described in Alma 36), as his "soul fainted" he "remembered the Lord" (Jonah 2:7) and the Lord heard his prayers and he was saved.

Jonah does finally repent. As recorded in Jonah 2:9, "But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the Lord." He makes a very important observation that I love in Jonah 2:8, "They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy." We are the ones that keep ourselves from receiving mercy when we are proud and choose our own path.

We must remember that it is the Lord's path and not ours. It's amazing to see how the people are converted in Nineveh and how Jonah is upset because this is not according to what he thought should happen. We must be humble and follow the Lord's path.....and love everyone!!!

Finally the Lord asks, "Doest thou well to be angry (Jonah 4:4)?" What a perfect question for all of us to ask ourselves when we ever get angry! :) There's really no need to get angry. It's not helping anyone and hurting many. :)

I am grateful for Jonah and what he teachs us about following and drawing closer to the Lord. These were the perfect lessons I needed to learn today. I am very
grateful and know that the Lord wants to guide us and direct us and be near us! :) We will be happy as we repent and turn to Him! :)

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

so many interesting observations here... i enjoyed pondering all of it! hmmm, not being ready to repent, anger, blood thirsty people in dc (oh you didn't say that did you? :) hahaha ) LOVE YOU <3