I am working on a really exciting and potentially really important project at work that will hopefully help to improve the work of the U.S. Department of Education. We began our kick-off meeting with several stakeholders, where we were to outline the results we want to achieve, with introductions and what I think is a really neat question: "What is your most memorable educational experience?" It was wonderful to hear from many different people who had grown up in many different places about their favorite teachers who had challenged them to think in a new way, subjects that were difficult but meaningful, and situations and experiences that really made them excited to learn. There was a passion and excitement in the room as everyone shared these memories. Education is so important! Everyone shared experiences that really shaped who they had become.
As I was listening to these experiences I found myself asking myself how I learn. I reflected on my education, formal and informal....good parents, passionate English teachers, crazy math teachers, an interest in history, and persistent music teachers. I couldn't think of any one teacher that really changed my way of thinking or helped me see myself differently or helped me succeed, but I was overcome with a profound appreciation for the opportunities for education I have had in my life....through formal schooling, travel opportunities, universities, books, living experiences, etc.
I also found myself thinking how important it is to let go and be open and humble enough to REALLY learn. I was actually very "good at school"....figuring out how the system worked, responsibly completing my work, and going through the motions to get good grades, but I think I am still learning how important it is to make mistakes and be open enough to receive feedback that will help me really change and learn and become better....and not just go through the motions. :) I have a new desire to understand where my real strengths and abilities are and use those to excel and then be better at giving and receiving feedback in order to improve.
There is such a hope and optimism in education! Education is so inspiring and helps us reach new heights. What is your most memorable educational experience? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment