Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I LOVE the Book of Mormon!

I love the Book of Mormon. I know it is the word of God and brings us nearer to God (as we abide by its precepts) than any other book. I'm excited to join my family and ward from home as we start the Book of Mormon again with STOMP (Summer Trying Out Moroni's Promise). Today, as a part of my four chapters a day, I read 1 Nephi 15:8-9 and was struck by Nephi's interchange with Laman and Lemuel. When Laman and Lemuel complain that they can't understand Lehi's words Nephi asks them, "Have you inquired of the Lord?" And they respond, "We have not; for the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us."

Prior to these verses are several chapters where Nephi specifically asks the Lord about the his father's teachings and is shown everything by an angel in a vision. He knows firsthand that God will answer prayers and teach His children.

I feel like I have learned A LOT this year about the importance of being proactive....and here it is again. :) I know that the Lord loves us and wants to bless us, but sometimes we just need to ask. We can't just sit back and wait for things to come to us. We must show that we want to learn and understand and grow. That's when the Lord will bless us with more understanding.

Laman and Lemuel's response here sounds so silly, but how many of us are waiting around for the Lord to show us something that we have not studied out and asked to know for ourselves? :)

1 comment:

Megan Morgan said...

I LOVE this, Heather! I was thinking about this same thing as I was reading the other day. Lately I have started praying that I may know the right things to be praying for, the right things to be asking the Lord about, and I have noticed a change in my prayers and personal revelation and comfort I receive throughout the day. I love that there is nothing we CAN'T inquire to the Lord about!