I was inspired today by being a part of the community in a special way--I volunteered for a few hours helping at one of the information booths at the Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure on the National Mall! I've enjoyed several events kind of like this in the past as a runner, but this was very different. I enjoyed watching all of the people there to celebrate and support. It wasn't about winning--it was about raising money for an important cause and being there as a support for others. It was very inspiring and kind of emotional to stand there near the starting line and watch thousands and thousands of people walk together united around each other and a cause to lift and help others....and watch many people fill out cards indicating who they were remembering.
I love the sense of community and unitedness...people from all over the world and all political backgrounds and walks of life reaching out and being kind. Here is a short video of part of last year's event that shows some of the fun of the day! :)
I also enjoyed learning from others as I was volunteering. Some people are so kind and nice. They call you by name and thank you personally for the small bit of information you share. :) It made me think again about how I treat those that I don't know each day in my interactions. We really are all here together. We can be such a support and lift to someone else's day....even in very small ways. Smile. Say "Thank you." Be kind. I was inspired by the strength, courage and examples of those around me. It really is all about loving each other....and helping each other through out trials. :) It also reminded me again of the faith and strength of my wonderful mother! :)
I was reminded that I really love volunteering. I love helping people find where they need to go (especially around the National Mall). I love being a part of a community and looking for small ways to be involved and make a difference. :)
1 comment:
Thanks Heath <3
And thanks for being an example of always being engaged in doing good, worthwhile things!
LOVE YOU!
Post a Comment