Sunday, July 29, 2012

Passing it on....

I LOVE the Olympics!  I love watching people from around the world gather together with shared dreams and excitement and understanding for each other.  In some ways it seems like the problems of the world fade away for a couple of weeks as we all cheer for each other and watch people reach dreams they have worked their lifetimes to achieve.

I love watching people from so many nations walk into the stadium together filled with excitement and hope.  I love the peace and friendship and togetherness exhibited.  I'm inspired by the hard word and passion and determination of the athletes.  I'm inspired by how they push themselves and each other to be even better than before.  

Watching the opening ceremonies this time I was also inspired by those who come to cheer on their fellow men or even to watch the path the torch takes to get to the games.  The flame comes from Greece and is passed from person to person -- extraordinary and ordinary people from around the country and world who each have a story and dreams of their own.  This is a great legacy and symbol of passing on something important through generations--spreading the hope, dreams, passions, and togetherness.  There is a lot of tradition and legacy and heritage (which reminds me of the recent Pioneer Day celebrations too).


Today in Sunday School our teacher drew a neat parallel to this passing of the torch.  We were studying Alma 36-38 where Alma is teaching his sons and imparting his final words of advice.  He's leaving his wisdom and legacy.  He loves his sons and gave very specific and important advice to each one:
  • joy comes through Christ
  • preach repentance
  • be meek and lowly in heart
  • counsel with the Lord in all your doings
  • give heed to the words of Christ
  • don't be slothful
  • take care of sacred things
  • look to God and live
  • out of small things come great things
  • trust in the Lord
  • keep the commandments
  • be steady and faithful
  • be patient; the Lord is with thee
  • be diligent, be temperate
  • do not boast in your own wisdom or strength; don't be lifted up in pride
  • be bold, but not overbearing
  • bridle your passions that ye may be filled with love
  • do not pray to be heard of men
What are you passing on?  :)

No comments: