Sunday, November 11, 2012

Happy Veteran's Day!

I love America!  I'm grateful for freedom.  I am grateful to those who protect our freedoms and proclaim liberty and peace at home and abroad.  Some of my favorite places in DC were the war memorials - World War II, Vietnam, Korea, Arlington Cemetery.  There is a special spirit there honoring the lives of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.  I think it is also important to remember and thank those who are still here - they have given much.
I have always appreciated veterans and Veteran's Day, but for some reason it has a new meaning and personal importance to me this year.  I'm grateful for both of my grandfathers' service and examples.  Recently I've been reading a few books about military leaders and wars in our history.  I've seen more clearly their sacrifice and dedication.  I watched a cute movie last night that helped me think again of the lives of soldiers and their families and even strangers that serve to uplift and strengthen them.  I have the unique opportunity to work directly with a very accomplished veteran and I'm inspired by his selfless service, as well as many others around me.  I have the chance to work a little bit with the military relations department, and I'm surrounded by a ward full of sweet, faithful, service-oriented examples....many of which are veterans or whose spouses are.  Thank you!

I think this is more a part of my life that I've previously thought.  I'm reminded of the wonderful examples of soldiers in Korea who opened the way for missionary work soon thereafter.  I think there is a correlation between the blessing of freedom and the blessing of the gospel and truth.  As I have been thinking about my gratitude for our servicemen and women today I was touched by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's tribute and other music - Who are the Brave?, Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy, Battle Hymn of the Republic

I'm grateful for the reminders this week of a cause bigger than any one person and I'm grateful for so many wonderful examples of service and sacrifice for freedom, peace, righteousness.  God bless America!  May we ever be grateful and express that gratitude often and then work ourselves in any and all ways that we can to protect and lift those around us and protect peace and freedom.

No comments: