Friday, November 30, 2012

Loneliness

I have something to say about loneliness.  I think that we all face some kind of loneliness in our lives at some point.  No matter how out-going or shy we are, we all need people around us and meaningful relationships to fill our lives with happiness and purpose.  For some reasons quite obvious and others less so, I have found my life to be particularly quiet and lonely this year.  I'm okay being by myself, and even prefer it sometimes - I am an I(S/N)FJ, after all.

But there is something about the holidays that particularly invites and almost demands closeness with family, friends, and other social gatherings.  This can be a wonderful time, but it can also be a time of even more loneliness.  I think sometimes even when surrounded by family and friends it's possible to feel even more alone.  I've been in this situation before.  It's really hard and I have reacted poorly in some situations when I've felt this way.

A few scriptures and thoughts on this subject have touched me lately:
  • Moroni was completely alone (see Mormon 8:1-5).  He was left to write the sad tale of the complete destruction of his people.  Even though he was alone, he remained faithful to his responsibility to teach the truth and share his witness and testimony of Jesus Christ.  He didn't give up in discouragement.  He believed.  He continued and worked and shared and taught US.  He saw us in our day.  He knew our trials and wrote faithfully of his experiences and important principles of the gospel to help us believe in Christ and succeed even through our trials.
  • Moroni knew who he was and knew that it would be important for us to understand who we are in order to remain faithful in making good choices (see Mormon 7:2).
  • Heavenly Father knew and loved Mary.  He had a plan for her....even when she didn't know a man (see Luke 1:30-34)!  :)
  • Mary and Elisabeth are blessed with friendship in a time of stress and uncertainty (see Luke 1:39-46).
  • If the Way Be Full of Trial, Weary Not
  • Christmas Angel (I'm kind of into Hallmark Christmas movies this year) :)
I know that regardless of our circumstances we choose our life and how we act.  We can make our life as full and wonderful or as lonely as we want.  It comes back to President Hinckley's father's advice to him on his mission, "Forget yourself and go to work."  :)  As we fill our lives serving others we will be happy regardless of our personal circumstances.  I want to be better.