Sunday, March 10, 2013

Consistency

A thought occurred to me a couple of years ago that I've continued to think about since and quite a bit lately. Anyone that knows my dad knows how much he loves Hawaii and you may have heard him talk about how he's "always amazed by the consistency of the temperature." I maybe took that for granted growing up, but as it's finally turning to spring this year I was reminded of a visit to Hawaii a couple years ago. I was visiting after having been in several different places and cultures and I was really glad to be “home” in a familiar setting with things and people I could count on, that reminded me of who I was....and in thinking about this I was touched by the great blessing of the consistency of the gospel in my life.

The gospel of Jesus Christ doesn’t change. The pattern for how we need to live in order to find lasting happiness is clear and unchanging – faith, repentance, baptism, following the Spirit and enduring to the end. No matter what we’re doing or where we are – the Lord loves us – His plan and His love doesn’t change. Life can be crazy or confused around us, but the gospel of Jesus Christ is steady and true and sure and constant. I’m grateful for that consistency in my life.

President Hinckley would often refer to the North Star that he and his brother would watch for in the night sky in its “permanent and predictable place…a thing of stability in a world of shifting values.” He talked about wanting “to pattern [his] life after the Polar Star, to be true and dependable—true to God, true to self, and true to fellowman.”

Not only is the gospel and our Heavenly Father's love consistent, but we are invited to be consistent ourselves in living the gospel and following the Savior.

Elder Bednar spoke about the importance of consistency in October 2009, in his conference talk entitled More Diligent and Concerned at Home, "Each family prayer, each episode of family scripture study, and each family home evening is a brushstroke on the canvas of our souls. No one event may appear to be very impressive or memorable. But just as the yellow and gold and brown strokes of paint complement each other and produce an impressive masterpiece, so our consistency in doing seemingly small things can lead to significant spiritual results. “Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great” (D&C 64:33). Consistency is a key principle as we lay the foundation of a great work in our individual lives and as we become more diligent and concerned in our own homes.”

I’m grateful for the invitation and reminder to be consistent in living the gospel. I know that we are happy and blessed as we keep the commandments, live our covenants, and trust in Lord and His plan.

I'm inspired even by this list of consistent words: sure, steadfast, immovable, endure, firm, hope, steadiness, perseverance, diligence, unwearied, unshaken, faint not, dependable, trustworthy, valiant, hearken, serving, obedient, committed, courageous, dedicated, faithful, integrity, loyal, confident, secure, permanent, unwavering, resolute, unfaltering, certain, strong, safe, stable, persistent, resolve, devotion, tireless, urgency, attentive, unceasing, long-suffering, responsible, constant, honorable, upright, brave, reliable, meek, dutiful, devoted, honest, everlasting, undeviating, purposeful....

I love these two scriptures that remind us to press forward in the sure hope of the gospel:

2 Nephi 31:20, "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."

Ether 12:4, "Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."

No comments: