Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Window to His Love

Nearly sixteen years ago I first heard the song A Windowto His Love by Julie de Azevedo. I love this song and it has affected me quite a bit over the years. The sweet and simple lyrics teach us that the purpose of our lives is to humbly point others to Christ - it's not about us, it's about Him! Because of Him we live and have hope and can live again. There is JOY now and later because of Jesus Christ and His Atonement. I'm so grateful for His love and truly want to be a "window" for others to see Him....

"I want to be a window to His love,
so when you look at me you will see Him.
I want to be so pure and clear that you won't even know I'm here,
'cause His love will shine brightly through me.

I want to be a doorway to the truth,
so when you walk beyond you will find Him.
I want to stand so straight and tall, that you won't notice me at all.
But through my open door He will be seen.

A window to His love.
A doorway to the truth.
A bearer of the message He'd have me bring to you
And with each passing day
I want to fade away.
'Till only He can be seen And I become a window to His love.

I want to be a window to His love,
so you can look through me and you'll see Him.
And some day shining through my face, you'll see His loving countenance,
'cause I will have become like He is

A window to His love.
A doorway to the truth.
A bearer of the message He'd have me bring to you
And with each passing day
I want to fade away.
'Till only He can be seen And I become...

A window to His love
A doorway to the truth.
A bearer of the message He'd have me bring to you.
And with each passing year
I want to disappear
'Till He's become ev'rything
and I've become a window to His love."



I first heard this song at EFY. I remember having a great desire for this song to describe me someday - I know I still have a long ways to go, but I remember particularly thinking about this as a missionary. When you have the blessing and privilege of spending every minute of the day teaching others about Him and His gospel message it brings great joy, but it has nothing do with you, but with Him. I enjoyed building relationships with people, but wanted to be sure that the real relationships that were developing were with the people we were talking to and the Savior, so that they then knew Him and were close to Him long after we left. :)

Recently, I have been thinking about this a little bit more. While talking to a friend at lunch I realized that there are some people that have a gift for being “windows” – working quietly and often unseen, but pointing to something wonderful and encouraging others to find Him, but I may have misunderstood part of what it means to be a “window.” While being a "window to His love," it’s important to not lose who we are in the process. We should recognize our gifts and let our unique lights SHINE! It’s not about being quiet and not sharing who you are (although that sounds easier to my introverted mind) – I think we become a reflection of Him when we are our best selves and let Him change us to what He needs us to be.

No comments: