Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 in Review

It's been a pretty great year!  I'm grateful for the adventures, opportunities, blessings, and lessons learned in 2014.  It wasn't a perfect year.  I have much to improve and learn and change, but based on the goals I set for myself I'm happy about my progress.  Here are some of the highlights:

Study:  I'm still working on the best way to organize a gospel studying journal (probably electronically), but I have enjoyed reading the Book of Mormon, learning from Joseph Fielding Smith and the Gospel Principles manuals, with some study of the Old Testament, and various topics as the need and interest and inspiration has come.  I also decided to start studying all of the General Conference talks since I was born.  I'm trying to keep a list of favorite talks and quotes and hope that will grow into more organization and inspiration in 2015.

On a somewhat related note...Reading:  This hasn't been on my list of goals the last several years because it's not a problem - I love to read and might spend too much time reading.  :)  I read 60 books this year.  See my Goodreads profile for all of book reviews and ratings, but some of my favorites this year were:


Teaching the Gospel:  I LOVE my calling as a ward missionary.  I need to do it much better, in fact I don't know that I've done very well, but it is something that's on my mind a lot and I am grateful for the opportunity it gives me to spend time with the sister missionaries, know the investigators and reach out to those who need a friend.  I think it's kind of what the gospel is all about.  I did love the opportunity to be a part of two really wonderful baptisms this year - a golden girl in our ward and my sweet niece.  I'd say that's a pretty good year and I want to do better next year.  :)

Service:  So, I still haven't found a consistent place to volunteer in the community, but I have been involved and am grateful for those chances.  Some of my favorites this year - learning about the candidates and serving as a delegate at the Salt Lake County Convention on April 12, ushering at the Lamb of God during Easter, helping grandmothers, attending the temple, serving at a community Thanksgiving dinner in St. George, making donations to several organizations and a local Sub for Santa effort, and hostessing at the Festival of Trees.  I want to do better next year.

Sleep:  I need to sleep more.  I didn't do great with my goal of an 11:00 pm bed time this year, but at least it was rarely past midnight.  I want to be more consistently early to bed, early to rise next year.  :)

Running:  I feel great about my running this year.  I ran my second marathon, the Utah Valley Marathon on June 14, down Provo Canyon finishing right next to the under-construction Provo City Center Temple.  Two weeks later I participated in my first team relay that I really quite enjoyed - the Wasatch Back on June 27, 28.  Avon Pass was a bit muddy this year and I didn't know my teammates ahead of time, but we had a great time.  It was beautiful and I think I kind of like relays - it's a fun way to see beautiful places, get to know people, and exercise.  :)  I'm inspired to do more next year.

Music:  I feel like music was an important part of my life this year, although I didn't find a consistent group to sing with.  I appreciated music :) from performances of the Lamb of God, the Utah Symphony, the Tabernacle Choir, and lots of Pandora, particularly at Christmas.  I sang with our ward choir and the Priesthood Department choir a few times this year, all of which were very meaningful.  I signed up to sing with a group that was cancelled - hopefully that will be something I can be a part this Easter.  I am grateful for music.  It truly blesses and enriches and inspires my life.

Language:  I took a Spanish class.  It was great and quite fun!  I had lots of people willing to help me practice.  I really do need to learn Spanish and my goal next year needs to be to learn, not just take a class.  :)  The basics were very helpful though and made me more excited to try.  Apparently other languages besides Asian languages can be fun, too.  :)

Travel:  Travel is always a highlight of life!  This year I had several really great trips:
* Portland for Josh and Kirsten's wedding on May 2 with a weekend stopover in Snoqualmie and Seattle - HIGHLIGHT!
* Washington DC for Sarah and Brian's wedding on May 24 with a Memorial Day run around all of the monuments.  I love DC!  It was fun to be back.
* Alaska in August was AMAZING!
* St. George is growing on me.  I kind of like it.  I made three trips there this year - Pioneer Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I'm glad for the time it gives me to drive and think and enjoy the open space.  I love the hiking in Zion (good thing I got there on Christmas Eve!).

Relationships:  I feel good about my progress in building relationships this year.  I love living close to family and feel like those relationships have been sweeter the last couple of years - with parents, grandparents, siblings, nieces and nephews.  I had a couple of fun sleepovers with the niece and nephews and was a part of many large and small family gatherings that are a blessing in my life.  I am grateful for good friends that I keep in touch with from previous life experiences and good opportunities I've had to make new friends at work, and at church, and in the community this year.  I'm learning who I am, gaining more confidence, and learning how to love others better.  I am reminded that life is all about the relationships and how we treat and love and serve each other.  I want to do better.

A few other highlights that don't fit into these categories....time together reflecting on grandpa Morgan's life, a new nephew, some nice runs and walks around City Creek Canyon, lots of beautiful fall leaves, a baby luau, all of the family together for a week in October, hiking Timp, lots of Christmas lights at Temple Square, a job that I love, and lots of pictures.  I'm grateful for the blessings and opportunities life brings and look forward to 2015.... :)



























No comments: