Today I was particularly touched and inspired by the idea that although we may not understand personally the trials others go through our Savior does and it is our job to reach out in love to bless and support.
"In the premortal life, we learned that we would need a period of mortality. We 'accepted [Heavenly Father’s] plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize [our] divine destiny as heirs of eternal life.'
"In the premortal life, we learned that we would need a period of mortality. We 'accepted [Heavenly Father’s] plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize [our] divine destiny as heirs of eternal life.'
"Elder Richard G. Scott explained that 'we were taught in the premortal world that our purpose in coming here is to be tested, tried, and stretched.' That stretching comes in as many forms as there are individuals experiencing it. I’ve never had to live through divorce, the pain and insecurity that comes from abandonment, or the responsibility associated with being a single mother. I haven’t experienced the death of a child, infertility, or same-gender attraction. I haven’t had to endure abuse, chronic illness, or addiction. These have not been my stretching opportunities.
"So right now some of you are thinking, 'Well then, Sister Stephens, you just don’t understand!' And I answer that you may be right. I don’t completely understand your challenges. But through my personal tests and trials—the ones that have brought me to my knees—I have become well acquainted with the One who does understand, He who was 'acquainted with grief,' who experienced all and understands all. And in addition, I have experienced all of the mortal tests that I just mentioned through the lens of a daughter, mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, and friend.
"Our opportunity as covenant-keeping daughters of God is not just to learn from our own challenges; it is to unite in empathy and compassion as we support other members of the family of God in their struggles, as we have covenanted to do.
"When we do so, we also come to understand and trust that the Savior knows the difficulties of the way and can guide us through whatever sorrows and disappointments may come. He is true charity, and His love 'endureth forever'—in part through us as we follow Him.
"As daughters of God and disciples of Jesus Christ, we then 'act according to those sympathies which God has planted' in our hearts. Our sphere of influence isn’t limited to our own family members."
Studying this talk in a singles ward brought up the expected comments about how this lesson on family applies a little bit differently to us currently. It was still mostly positive, but focusing on this specific section of the talk helped me remember that everyone has trials - we all face different things that are hard. Although I don't think we need to compare, I think it is so important to give others the benefit of the doubt and remember that we don't know their struggles. Hopefully our trials, as Sister Stephens mentions, make us humble and help us turn to the Lord for help...and also help us think of others and how we might be able to reach out to those around us.
"So right now some of you are thinking, 'Well then, Sister Stephens, you just don’t understand!' And I answer that you may be right. I don’t completely understand your challenges. But through my personal tests and trials—the ones that have brought me to my knees—I have become well acquainted with the One who does understand, He who was 'acquainted with grief,' who experienced all and understands all. And in addition, I have experienced all of the mortal tests that I just mentioned through the lens of a daughter, mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, and friend.
"Our opportunity as covenant-keeping daughters of God is not just to learn from our own challenges; it is to unite in empathy and compassion as we support other members of the family of God in their struggles, as we have covenanted to do.
"When we do so, we also come to understand and trust that the Savior knows the difficulties of the way and can guide us through whatever sorrows and disappointments may come. He is true charity, and His love 'endureth forever'—in part through us as we follow Him.
"As daughters of God and disciples of Jesus Christ, we then 'act according to those sympathies which God has planted' in our hearts. Our sphere of influence isn’t limited to our own family members."
Studying this talk in a singles ward brought up the expected comments about how this lesson on family applies a little bit differently to us currently. It was still mostly positive, but focusing on this specific section of the talk helped me remember that everyone has trials - we all face different things that are hard. Although I don't think we need to compare, I think it is so important to give others the benefit of the doubt and remember that we don't know their struggles. Hopefully our trials, as Sister Stephens mentions, make us humble and help us turn to the Lord for help...and also help us think of others and how we might be able to reach out to those around us.
This article from the April 2011 Ensign, Trust, Patience and Endurance: My Lessons from Infertility, helped me think about that - we may have different trials, but everyone has something they are dealing with. We can turn to the Lord. He understands. Because of our trials and coming to know Him and His power to bless we can then also seek to strengthen and uplift and bless others. I'm grateful for our Father's plan and for His perfect love and understanding.
No comments:
Post a Comment